Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:33 PM   #1

HI, I also have a Nikon 8700, but I have to always deal with too much contrast. Some times the images come darker than what they really are. Even in AUTO mode.

I told Nikon tech support that the contrast settings in reallity don't work, when I reduce the contrast in the camera, instead, it reduces the overall brightness of the image. Most of my time Ihave to fix the image in Photoshop.

Nikon told me to increase the exposure a few points, but it washes out the colors specially the sky.

Do you have the same problem ?

Here some pictures I took in my last trip. In some of them I fixed the contrast with Photoshop.

www.laplazita.net/expedition2004

thanks
Jaime
jlandaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2004, 7:58 PM   #2

What pictures do you feel lack contrast or are too contrasty?
Some of the scenic images are heavy in ultra violet haze and contrast changes will not correct this. You need some uV filtering but it probably will not be enough for this level of haze. Problem is caused by sunlight being scattered by atmospheric moisture or vapor.
Take these types of photos with the sun behind you and later in the afternoon.
Ted
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:22 PM   #3

My pictures were dark on My computer screen even though they looked perfect on My 8700 screen. I E-Mailed Nikon and they told Me to send pictures to them without messing with them to lighten them up. So I sent pictures like they came out of the camera. They E-Mailed Me Back a repair that seems to work fine.
right click on blank spot on desk top
choose propertys
click settings tab
click advance button
click color management
click add
search for NKMONITOR_win (Ihave windows 98SE)
set this as the default
click OK
click OK again
I did go to Hewlett Packard before I did this and downloaded the latest drivers for My M-90 pavilion monitor so I was sure to have the setting in my list.
This did work and it does not seem to mess anything else up.
I can now see all of my pictures on the computer instead of just black blocks. Of course some of the pictures are darker then others just like 35mm film negitaves would be.
I'll tell You one thing. This camera puts out some really great photographs. The resolution and colors along with being super sharp is really perfect on every shot. I just did pictures for My church for A slide show and every single photograph was dead on perfect. Over 400 pictures were used.
I hope this is A help.

I'm going to photograph a wedding Sept 4th. with this camera so I'll let You all know if I get paid or if I get beat up for ruining the wedding pictures. :|
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:54 PM   #4

Well, the ones in the web site posted above are already fixed. Not all came bad.

But below, I'm attaching some samples here of two different images before and after I fixed the contrast with the Shadow / highlight adjustment in Photoshop CS.

http://www.laplazita.net/contrast/

Old Aug 6, 2004, 2:12 PM   #5

Not sure what happened to the message. I'll list the answer here.
The three photos have a wide range of contrast with dark shadows and bright back lit sky and water. The camera essentially averaged the exposure for the scene and the bright sky/water caused the camera to underexpose. This is known as a high dynamic range of brightness which exceeds the ccd sensor's range requiring post processing to bring out the shadow details while keeping the sky from washing out. This can only be corrected in the photo editor(Photoshop or others). It is better to be underexposed than overexposed because once the high brightness areas of the image exceed the sensors range the detail is lost. On the other hand, the dark areas still contain the detail and adjustments correct that with a some loss of contrast. CCD sensors are designed to approximate film brightness ranges but the human eye and brain are able to see a much wider range of brightness in the scene.
Did you try to just use "levels" in photoshop? "Levels" should be used first to make adjustments like this and then resort to "Curves". Contrast and Brightness adjustments in photo editors are almost useless.
Ted
Old Aug 6, 2004, 2:26 PM   #6

One additional note:
I downloaded the bad images and looked at them in Photoshop using Adjust>Levels. Without making any changes, the histograms on all three photos exceed the range at both ends of the histogram indicating what I stated in the previous message. The camera did the best it could with the scene and you can't expect any thing more from the camera so the corrections have to be performed in the photo editor which is what you did.
I found that with the Adjust>Curves by lifting the mid point of the right side of the curve the photos can be adjusted.
Ted
Old Aug 7, 2004, 3:00 PM   #7

Thank you for the tests. If you have Photoshop CS, the new adjustment tool called SHADOW / HIGHLIGHTS does a better work than Levels and Curves adjusting light contrast.

The point of my complain, is that I could reduce a little bit of "too much contrast"when taking the pictures if the LOW CONTRAST option in the nikon8700 would really work. In my Nikon camerawhen I set the contrast to LOW, it just darkened the image, withoutactually reducing contrast.

The web site below reviewing the 8700 camera refers also to the same problem:

Go to this page and look for the "contrast series"

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0/CP87PICS.HTM

Old Aug 8, 2004, 10:35 AM   #8

:sad:Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
My pictures were dark on My computer screen even though they looked perfect on My 8700 screen. I E-Mailed Nikon and they told Me to send pictures to them without messing with them to lighten them up. So I sent pictures like they came out of the camera. They E-Mailed Me Back a repair that seems to work fine.
right click on blank spot on desk top
choose propertys
click settings tab
click advance button
click color management
click add
search for NKMONITOR_win (Ihave windows 98SE)
set this as the default
click OK
click OK again
I did go to Hewlett Packard before I did this and downloaded the latest drivers for My M-90 pavilion monitor so I was sure to have the setting in my list.
This did work and it does not seem to mess anything else up.
I can now see all of my pictures on the computer instead of just black blocks. Of course some of the pictures are darker then others just like 35mm film negitaves would be.
I'll tell You one thing. This camera puts out some really great photographs. The resolution and colors along with being super sharp is really perfect on every shot. I just did pictures for My church for A slide show and every single photograph was dead on perfect. Over 400 pictures were used.
I hope this is A help.

I'm going to photograph a wedding Sept 4th. with this camera so I'll let You all know if I get paid or if I get beat up for ruining the wedding pictures. :|
Quote:
Ronnie948 : Can you help me ?? Ane time I try to get a photograph with my CP 8700 in hight shuter speed, the picture come darkness. donĀ“t matter the sun intensity or 500 or 1000 sp. Whath to do ????? From Panama. Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:08 PM   #9

Hi Carlton,
I'm sorry I could not get to You sooner but We just went through A Huricane here in Daytona Beach Florida.
I had the same viewing problem when looking at the pictures on My Computer. I did the Nikon suggestion and some of the pictures were still a little dark. I called My friend that just purchased a new D-70 and We put pictures from his camera on my computer and some of them were dark. I then adjusted My Hewlett Packard M-90 Monotor to be less contrast and brighter and everything now shows perfect. It is a very easy Monotor to adjust because all of the buttons to adjust are on the front.
I now just only check the levels in photoshop 7 and crop and size the picture I want to print and I am done. I have not had to do much adjusting on the color at all. The Nikon profile for My monotor works well with My Epson 1280 and also my 2000p printers.
I hope this helps You, Let Me know How You do.
Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote