Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 12, 2004, 1:37 PM   #1
TH

I just bought the 5700. Battery drained down within half an hour after taken five photos. Any ideas? Bad battery? Thanks.
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2004, 2:31 PM   #2

Check the menu for automatic shutdown and set it to 30 secs.
The camera will go to sleep after 30 secs of inactivity and can be awoken by piushing the shutter button.
Also, sometimes new batteries take a few recharging cycles before they achieve full operating capacity.
I bought the battery pack for the 5700 which holds 6 - AA Cells and lasts much longer between charges.
With the standard battery you need a couple extras to carry with you.
Ted
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:23 PM   #3
TH

Ted, Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 9:58 AM   #4
Frs

TH, I bought an extra set from E-Bay and they last roughly 3 hours each! Did you fully charge it the first time? Frs
Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 6:02 AM   #5

I also have the battery pack,a must have! I use rayovac 15 min rechargables

I got two batteries with the charger and some extra batteries since Im out alot and cant use my a/c adaptor. The Rayovac rechargables last me four hours roughly and I also use my flash alot. The batteries are not cheap but a good investment.

At home I use my a/c adaptor with a real long extension cord so I can wander my entire backyard without worrying about batteries. yeah those pissy nikon batteries are a waste.

Oh and the recharger will charge AA and AAA batteries.

Laney
Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:12 PM   #6
TH

Frs, yes, the battery was fully charged I thought. Since my last charge, I took about forty shots and the battery is still going. I hope to get 100 to 200 shots. It remains to be seen.

I was told that it takes several cycles to get it to work properly. What battery did you buy from Ebay? I saw some costs 5 - 10 bucks. Does Nikon charger work on non-Nikon battery?

Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:24 AM   #7
Frs

TH,

Mine worked from the very first "charge". I bought some Nikon knock-off and I have not notice yet any difference beside the price (mine cost +/- $12us for 2 batteries vs approximately $50cdn for 1 Nikon). The supplier sent me 2 extra by mistake (send me an e-mail at [email protected] if interested).
Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 6:58 PM   #8

I use both Nikonbranded batteries and Ross lookalikes in a 5700 and a 995. Never done a measured test but have never been surprised by shorter-than-expected duration. I use 5 min autoshutoff but use the large display sparingly. Hardly ever power-down unless I know the camera will be inactive for a significant time. Some batteries must be over three years old, inherited from my 995. Incidentally, a 12v to120/240v inverter ($25/£19) allows use of Nikon's charger (or any other mains charger) while driving. Even a 30 mins charge is better than nothing.
Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 6:01 PM   #9

th-

i've got the digipoiwer dps 9000 or sum'n like that for my cp 5000....with the monitor on and random burst mode on, this battery pack has run a good 4 - 5 hrs before recharging!

my nikon external batt pack is showing signs of wear and tear...i wonder if ther is a way i can get it fixed under warranty, as i bought the camera from a 3rd party....who did take care of it...

also, what's your decision on your battery situation? :|
tdredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 9:52 PM   #10

I had a problem with a new Nikon hand-grip 6-AA battery-pack. The +ve case-contacts were too recessed to connect with the batteries because the plastc 'shouders' in the pack-case fouled the overlapped seam on each battery. In other words, it seemed that the +ve battery terminals were not proud enough from the rim. When you insert the batteries, rotate each to make sure the seam (where it folds over at +ve end) is upwards and not resting against the sides of the slit. This allows a sufficient clearance for the batteries to make better contact with the metal strip of the holder. With many batteries, especially rechargables, you can feel the seam on the side of the battery and then follow it to where the plastic is peened over at the +ve end. Of course, the batteries are connected in series and so a single poor connection is fatal! I guess Nikon might rightly blame the batteries rather than their device.

Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote