Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 30, 2002, 12:46 PM   #1

Default Cool price for CoolPix 5700

Pleale let me know how to check CCD quality for 5700. When the price is so low as 620 US it is better to check it somehow.
What else has to be checked on delivery??
alexei55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2002, 6:28 AM   #2

So you are also falling for those NY based bait-and-switch online stores,
there are hundreds of reviews on steves-digicams underlining the phony tricks played by those people.
At $620 they will offer you a grey market camera, without any warranty and comes alone without any single accessory that usually come in the box.
you might also have to order inflated priced accessories and/or extended warranties.
Before checking for the CCD quality, rather check the online store ratings for the seller on

http://www.resellerratings.com
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 5:11 PM   #3

Yep, that's the truth. I got mine for $958 and considered it a steal (IBuy.com). Anytime a price is much under B&H beware.

Bob
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 10:50 AM   #4

Thank you ajitkataria
for your comment. I did not buy it. My friend purchased it for me but when it received there were nither warranty nor memory so he decided to send it back.
Now I am loking for another option.
Alexei
alexei55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:56 PM   #5

I just bought 5700 from www.buydig.com for $919. This is my fourth camera purchase from them and have always had a good experience. All of their merchandise is factory with US warranties. They are not perfect, they still have over priced accessories and will try to get you to change the shipping to 3 day air for $20 more (I found that their standard shipping charge at $24 is 3 day not 7-10 day!).

Laserjock
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 10:39 PM   #6

Here's the deal...Nikon only provides warranty coverage on cameras sold through authorized Nikon dealers, regardless of the inclusion of a warranty card in the box. If the dealer is not autorized it makes no difference if there is a warranty card included upon purchase. The large majority of on line camera sellers are not authorized dealers. Go to Nikonusa.com, where you will find a list of authorized dealers in your area or any area for that matter. Recently Nikon offered some of it's dealers financial incentives and as a result the price on the 5700 has dropped a bit. The cheapest I've found from an authorized dealer is at 17th Street Photo Supply...$1000 with a free 128MB Microtech complact flash. Good luck
david@wahnon.name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:57 AM   #7

Default Nikon USA

:?
where does that leave WALMART, a high profile, well known, highly respected, and established store that is selling the 5700 at their web site store (not a great price, but that's besides the point) with a USA warranty? They're not on NIKON USA's official list.

does this mean that their warranty is void and null?
it doesn't seem plausible that WALMART would leave their customers in a lurch and destroy their reputation at the same time.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 5:04 PM   #8

Unfortunatley that's what it means. If Wal mart is not listed as an authorized Nikon dealer then you have no warranty. In fact Nikon will not repair a Nikon camera purchased from an unauthorized dealer...even of you are willing to pay cash dollars. And they know the serial numbers of the cameras stocked by authorized dealers. I've gotten this info from two separate phone calls to Nikon.
If anyone knows otherwise please share. By the way, I just purchased the 5700 earlier today (I couldn't hold out any longer) from 17th Street Photo Supply. Also, B&H has lowered their price to $1049, though 17th Street Photo Supply is still a better deal. The price there is $1000 with a 128MB compact flash. I made a deal with the guy there, I paid an extra $58 to upgrade to a 256MB compact flash.
david@wahnon.name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 12:51 PM   #9

ok....I was a little concerned about the authorized dealer issue so I emailed NIKON USA about it.
WalMart is authorized to sell consumer level products, which includes all Coolpix cameras. I'm guessing that it's a case by case basis and if a question should arise, we need to email them.
8)