Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:51 PM   #1
amr

Default Nikon Tech doesn't understand Macs and never will!

I went to download the firmware update and on the nikon page they spend 6-7 paragraphs describing how to download the file and what program to use and blah, blah, blah....

The only description of what to do with the download was this:

"After the file has been downloaded and uncompressed it must be run or installed. To accomplish this, open the folder with the uncompressed files and double-click the "Setup" program. In most cases this setup program can be found in the "Disk 1" folder."

Now, I won't go into the gramatical errors and such, but the one problem with this info is that it has nothing to do with what is on my desktop. I have one folder that says "Driver," a file called "Uploader Storage 1.0" (whatever that is) and some generic document called "firmware.bin"

Not only does the Nikon page have inaccurate info, but no where does it say what to do with these files.

After launching one of these programs, I get etiher one of two messages: 1 - "No camera attached" or "wrong firmware"

What the heck does that mean? My camera IS connected to the computer and what does it mean "wrong firmware!?"

Nikon has ALWAYS gotten software for the Mac wrong. It drives me crazy!

Anyone else have any suggestions or have gone through the same thing?
amr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2002, 12:42 AM   #2

Default Firmware Update 1.7

amr

Could not get the update for the Mac through AOL but did get it through IE, there was also a PDF file for the Mac which I downloaded this morning, looked for it this evenng to send you the link, not there anymore, anyway if you send me your email address I can send it to you.

Louise Parrish
Louise Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 12:58 AM   #3

Default Firmware Update 1.7

amr

oops, found it
;http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_tech_cen...1&pos=1&os=mac

Louise Parrish
Louise Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 7:22 PM   #4

Default Re:Nikon firmware 1.7 update

You may have accidently downloaded the PC version of the firmware upgrade. Your camera must be connected via the USB port and the battery must be charged. Perhaps someone knows how to update the camera using the compact flash card. I know that this can be done with the PC software. Good luck!
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 2:59 AM   #5
amr

Default Thanks

I found the link and the PDF explained it well. But I did find that when I was first downloaded the firmware update, the website sent me the 1.6 firmware instead of the 1.7 version. It wouldn't install because my camera already has the 1.6 firmware.

So I'm still mad at Nikon, although not as much.

[Edited on 10-2-2002 by amr]
Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:56 AM   #6

This is really comical seeing as you don't really need any software to upgrade your firmware. I use Linux and there is no software that I'm aware of yet I was able to upgrade my Coolpix 950 firmware just fine.

Steve posted detailed instructions here.

If I had not found this trick I would have borrowed a friends windows computer (there are millions of them out there) and upgraded my firmware.

Years ago I worked in photo studio with all Macintosh computers. We bellyached back then about sub-par support for our chosen OS. Some things never change. If you love the Mac OS then you've got to come to grips with the sub-par support. If it hasn't changed I highly doubt it ever will.

Sometimes the unsupported way of doing things is better.
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 2:56 PM   #7

What do you expect with 3% market share and falling?
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 5:53 PM   #8
amr

Default Please don't!

"What do you expect with 3% market share and falling?"

Not to make this into a Mac vs. PC flame war but please don't post faulty information - it makes hard to believe anything you say. Check your facts first before you post. And wherever you heard that Apple is 3% is just plain wrong.

Anyway...

If Nikon is going to support the Mac market, then it needs to make software that WORKS! If they are not going to support mac, then get out and stop wasting our (my) time.

BTW, I'll bet the percentage of Mac users changes dramatically when you look at the photography/graphics market, which Nikon is a part of.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 6:24 PM   #9

what i find ammusing is that nikon and a lot of other media based product companies in japan were so apple centric for so long and windows was the afterthought.

and unfortunately the market is erroding for apple even in the media market too.

its nothing personel just business.

as of june 2002 the estimated market share for apple was at 5% per usa today tech news.

now with the existance of the x86 based OS 10.2 a fact it is possible for them to reclaim or add to their base allowing for dual boot machines or a single choice. this of course relinquishes hardware control that apple has savored for so many years. its their choice.

i'm staying neutral in that aspect. i work with enough OS's to realize their all got their quirks. i would probable dual boot it with xp.

[Edited on 10-2-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 5:00 PM   #10

I have not previously heard of an x86 version of any mac os. Do you have a link to any information on this? I use XP and 98, but am curious about alternatives. Thanks.
makotosun is offline   Reply With Quote