Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 2, 2002, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Nikon D100 vs. Canon EOS D60

Can anyone offer side-by-side comparisons or at least let me know which they prefer and why? I'm all set to buy the Nikon and then I start reading about the Canon, so now I'm confused as to which to buy. I am by no menas a professional or even advanced amateur - maybe a mid-level amateur. Any recommendations would be welcome and helpful. Thanks!
sledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:22 PM   #2

Avoid both, they are obsolete.

Full frame dSLRs have now been announced and one, the sigma, is in the same price range. As the full frame cameras appear, these cropped chips will disappear .. after the price falls.

Given your level of cometence, I suggest you start with a good prosumer camera, at less than 1/2 of the price you will have camera plus a zoom lens, etc. If you want the top pf the prosumer line .. consider the Coolpix 5700, dimage 7hi, or the hgh end Sony.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 4:29 PM   #3

Don't mind Steves, he's jaded when it comes to these cameras. He thinks the D100 is an Edsel. I guess that would make the D60 at least a Rambler. Lets just say, we have differing opinions.

He is right in the fact that full frame dSLRs have been announced, though none are currently available in the "under $2500" catagory. The D100 and the Canon D60 are both excellent cameras. Keep in mind both have their own pros and cons. Each one besting the other in differing catagories.

If you are looking for a camera system (interchangeable lenses and such) that can grow as your skills develop, the D100, D60, and Fuji S2 (Nikon based) are available, all with an excellent selection of lenses and accessories. Keep in mind that these are not full frame and a crop factor must be taken into account when buying you lenses. Also, remember that these are just camera bodies, you still need to buy a lens and memory card (not included).

If you are looking for an advanced Point and Shoot (non interchangeable, all-in-one), then any of the ones Steves listed should do nicely. Keep in mind that with these, once your skills reach the camera's limits, it time for a new camera.

My suggestion... Go to your local camera shop and put your hands on them. Take some notes on which ones you like/dislike and why/not and the prices of EVERTHING you NEED to get started. Then do a little more review reading from the net, sleep on it, THEN make your decision.

Hopefully you already have a PC/Mac and printer capable of handling digital images. But that is another discussion all together...

BTW: I own a D100 and love it.

Happy Hunting.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 9:09 AM   #4

Default Jaded or rational?

Joe,

I am not jaded and almost bought a D100 until I caught rumors of what was coming.

First, the Foveon is full frame NOW and it is under 2k dollars.

Second, the 4/3 cameras are likley to come next year. These will be full frame and probably a lot chaeper than 35mm.

Third, rather than being jaded I am simply advising folks who do not buy a new camera every year, that thjis is a bad time to buy a dSLR since most of them will be obsoleted within 2 years.

Fourth, if you think one can outgrow a Minilta 7hi or a CP 5700, then I would like to introduce you to my friends Eddy Weston and Gene Smith ... or do you supose they outgrow their tecvhmolgies too? Any prosumer camera at this level offers creative challenges enough to last a lifetime.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 10:45 AM   #5

Steves with regret the Foveon is not full frame. it has mag factor of 1.7 the highest of them all.

i agree with you though about the interim models that have come and will go.

the Kodak DCS Pro 14n is the animal that is worth the wait. the capabilities on this thing looks like the wish list from just about every photographer in the world short of frame rate. it looks like kodak sat and listened. and underpriced everyone in the field. they sort of blindsided everyone. we'll see in december and i might see in mar 03. i'll be taking a good hard look at it at the end of the month hopefully at photoplus in nyc

a fully rigged out D100 is about $2500 after accessorizing and that is w/o a real strobe.

[Edited on 10-5-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:28 AM   #6

Steves,
Nothing personal, but you always seem to blast the D100 leaving others unscathed. And you keep using that dirty word "obsolete". That is in the eye of the user. My D100 will work just as well the day after the full framers come out as it did the day before. Will it be obsolete? No. Will the new ones be bigger and better? Of course. Will they be cheaper than $2000? Maybe, maybe not. IMHO, I think not.

The big question is how long do you want to wait? Always waiting for the next best thing means never having. Sooner or later you need to take the plunge.

(Maybe you should give Nikon a rest and blast Canon or Fuji for awhile.) :P
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 11:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been to a store and seen and held and played with the D100 (although there was only one camera store within a 50 mile radius that actually had one of these on the shelf).

Seems prety nice to me - even if it is (almost) obsolete.

Still thinking, reading, etc. Your comments have been helpful!
sledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 7:41 PM   #8

The Kodak has an estimated street price of $4000 so far.

That's DOUBLE the price. Doubling the price hardly renders something at half that price as being obsolete. But, you're right, in 2 years, it will probably be in the same price bracket. On the other hand, if someone wants to spend $2000 on a camera-body today, there's no problem in doing so. I can't recommend an alternative to the top 3 in the $2000 price bracket TODAY -- can anyone else?
MrTwyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 1:39 AM   #9

Quote:
The big question is how long do you want to wait? Always waiting for the next best thing means never having. Sooner or later you need to take the plunge
Well, I'll just stick my neck in here, and hope it doesn't get chopped off. I totally agree with the above statement. It's easy to become paralyzed and never buy ANYTHING...and miss the fun of owning new toys! I have a CP 950 which by any measure is obsolete. It still takes great pictures, and gives me lots of pleasure, even though it isn't the latest thing. I bought an Oly E20..probably also obsolete...about two weeks ago. What a wonderful, user-friendly camera it is. I'll keep the Nikon, though, for those times I want to "travel light."
This is a really exciting time in digital cameras. Whatever you buy will be obsolete in a year. So what? If it fills your needs, there is no reason to replace it until it doesn't. Computers went through this same sort of explosive technology change ten years ago. It's still going on, but it has slowed. I know people who STILL haven't bought a computer...they're always waiting for the NEXT BIG THING.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote