Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 3, 2002, 1:03 AM   #1

Default Taking continuous shots and slow snaps

I got my Coolpix 5700 almost figured out despite my busy work schedule. I just discovered the fps system and was wondering about how I can take continous shots in an event like chasing a bunny or a bee. From what I gather from the manual, I can do the High continous shots mentod which gives me 4 frames per second, the low continous method which give 1.5 frame per second (ermm am I right?) and the normal 100 consecutive frames. Problem is I like to make sure that the shots I take can be printed out and displayed on my walls. So at the normal 100 consecutive frames wouldnt the resolution be too low?

And why does it take like forever for the other consecutive options to save the file? It so slow that I get mouldy.

Another prob I have is, I cant snap a shot instantly. I have to wait for the camera to snap it. Am I missing something here? Or is it just the camera?

Someone help me please....I have to take my bro's wedding and I want to catch his face when he says "I do".

[Edited on 10-3-2002 by Sassalyn]
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2002, 4:40 PM   #2

The "I cant snap a shot instantly" ur talking about is caus ur cam focusses when u hold down the button...when its focused it takes a pic. If u want to take a pic of ur bro when he says i do...focus before he actually says it. When the priest/rabbi/imam asks the q...press the button halfway to focus...and when ur bro responds snap. Hope it helps..may wanna prepare for it though...take some test shots b4 the big event.
HSKHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 4:46 PM   #3

Hi Sassalyn

I think it's a bit difficult to to get something really good out of the continous shootsystem. If the speed of your motive is too high, like a bee or something, you'll miss most of the movements - shooting in high quality - the continous is too SLOW. But you can set the CP to shoot ex. 16frames in one shot - that's 640x480 each. But not enough for a printout, right.
I'd tried high continous shooting with some bees - spend over 1 hour and app. 90 shot - without getting something I could use. Bad luck or incompentence - I don't know?! Maybe a combination. You have to go out and try for yourself.

It takes times to save photos - the size of the total MB rises with more shots. That's it. Maybe the buffer is too small.

Acc. to your bro's wedding. Just be ready. Get the right focus, push down the snapper a little and wait...from here the CP moves fast. Should be no problem, unless your brother is a bee. He he.

Maybe others have some tricks acc. to the continous shooting - would be nice to hear!

Good luck at the wedding!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 7:54 AM   #4

With the CP 4500 you have to keep continuous down to bursts of about 4 shots at FINE - is the 5700 the same ?

Beyond that you get the egg timer and even after that goes the screen "refreshes" as the frame number changes. During that period the camera will not respond to changes in sensitivity, shutter speed etc until it has settled down.

A buffer thing probably, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 4:03 AM   #5

The wedding is over and my finger is covered in blisters. I actually managed to get myself into a hole and that left me with a nasty twisted ankle and a bruised knee. The camera was uninjured in the incident.
Bro was waving his fists at me as I took 370 photos that day and they did come out pretty well. May invest in a power flash however. I was slowed down by the camera a bit but I figured that it was better than nothing.

Trick about taking weddings is always be prepared for the unexpected especially big holes in the ground.
Thanks for your help
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote