Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 8, 2004, 6:14 AM   #1

(a) Can anyone confirm the existence of lens hood/filter holder for a Coolpic 5/8700? I would like to use one with a UV filter simply to protect the protruding zoom lens. If there is one, does it vignette at the standard wide-angle setting? Is it a Nikon part?

(b) Can anyone explain what advantage physical filters (polarisers excepted) have on a digital camera as opposed to setting white balance with the compementary colour (ie., show the camera a red card and the photographs have a blue cast etc)?
Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:26 PM   #2

Warwick wrote:
Quote:
(a) Can anyone confirm the existence of lens hood/filter holder for a Coolpic 5/8700? I would like to use one with a UV filter simply to protect the protruding zoom lens. If there is one, does it vignette at the standard wide-angle setting? Is it a Nikon part?

(b) Can anyone explain what advantage physical filters (polarisers excepted) have on a digital camera as opposed to setting white balance with the compementary colour (ie., show the camera a red card and the photographs have a blue cast etc)?
Please see my 5700 user guide, especially the "Converter Lenses" section, for possible answers to (a). As for (b), white balance and image editing systems canreplace whatthe color correction/compensation filters do, and software filters for image editing systems can do many effects that traditional special effect filters can do. The only filterswhose effects cannot be duplicated bysoftwareare the polarizers, ND filters and gradual ND filters.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and Panasonic FZ-10 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:10 PM   #3

Many thanks Shene for that most useful reference and part numbers. Surelythe articlewould be worth a stand-alone announcement of its existence. Also interesting that you confirm my own thoughts on 'virtual' filters. It looks as though some of us use 'hard' filters either through a lack of awareness or a surplus of finance! (unless there is another view out there) Warwick
Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote