Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:29 AM   #1

This camera has a better zoom than the 8700, built in red eye redution, and most improtant, improved shots in the dark due to their VR technology. Even though the sensor is the same size as the 5700 or 8700, they found a way to improve the dark photos so they will not be so grainy. Also shot performace is suppose to be better.

If the performance is close to the D70, I would rather have the 8800. No need for interchangable lenses, or to even carry them around. 35-350 zoom is sweet.

Cons: Weight is the same as the D70, and I am sure the price will be just as high. Wait a year and get it. The price should be down by then. That is if you can wait.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2004, 3:49 PM   #2

The price won't go down - there'll probably be a replacement model with even more features for the same price in a year.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:51 PM   #3

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
The price won't go down - there'll probably be a replacement model with even more features for the same price in a year.
:| Sad but true. So you have to really just buy what you need when you need it. Don't worry so much about something coming out in the next 6 months. I have my 5700 and I will not get rid of it until it breaks down. I see being very happy with my 5700 for the next 5-8 years. By then the Coopix 1000 will be out.

With that being said, the think the weak links on the prosumer cameras are getting smaller and smaller each 6 months. For me the 5700 just makes it on the worthy list. It is a nice upgrade from the lacking 5000.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote