Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:40 AM   #1

When you review the Nikon Coolpix 8400 (and other "prosumer" type cameras, for that matter) I would very much appreciate it if you would check for and explicitly comment on the delay between single-frame photos when shooting in raw format. The older 5 MP prosumer cameras, and (I believe) all of the first generation 8 MP cameras force you to wait, often for quite a long time, say 10-20 seconds, between shots when shooting raw (NEF for Nikon) files, as they do not multitask--while writing to CF, everything else stops.

This is completely unacceptable if shooting anything, e.g. children, animals, sports, where you cannot completely control the action. I bought a D70 instead of an 8MP prosumer just because of this, I really like the D70, but would think of a second-generation 8 MP prosumer like the CP8400 as a second camera, but only if they have fixed this problem.

Just so it is clear--I know that many prosumer cameras can shoot several shots in burst mode before pausing to write them out to the CF card. That is NOT what I mean. I mean, can I take a photo in single shot mode, then take another 3 seconds later if the animal I am photographig does something interesting, even if the camera has not finished writing the first image to the CF card? There's no reason cameras are not potentially capable of doing this, they all have multiple frame memory buffers.

Thanks.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 2:21 AM   #2

I'd still be interested if you could check this, and check it on all reviews of high-end cameras, but it may be a bit less urgent. Imaging-resource does this sort of test, and on a preproduction 8400 it took about 9 seconds between shots when shooting single-frame RAW mode--i.e., looks like it does not buffer RAW writes. I'm very disappointed, as otherwise it looks like a great carry-around camera, but too many shots missed with my CP5000 tells me that that sort of delay is not tolerable.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote