Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 26, 2004, 3:08 PM   #1

I am no expert on cameras and do not have the technical background to trouble shoot the issues I'm having with my camera, but I'll do my best to describe the issue. Out of the blue, the camera, in autofocus, will not allow me to take more than one picture witout a very long delay (fully charged battery) and then, at times, the button I depress to take the picture stays flush to the camera and seems to be locked down. If I turn the camera off and on, I can get the button to release. The only function I attempted to use other than straight "auto focus" picture taking was I selected the "close" up feature on the back of the camera, and got the yellow flower. I then get warning message that I can barely read before it turns off. I then reset the modes to 'factory' setting, and experienced the same problem. Once the pics are taken, they seem to be fine and as sharp as before. But, needing to wait for 20 or more seconds between shots and than having to turn it off and on is a pain. I do get a flashing green "auto focus" light between shots. For anybody out there that can make sense of my explanation, I would love some feedback. I am out of warranty on this camera. So, it's my nickle if I have to send it in. Thanks!!!
golfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 3:00 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, I don't own the 4300. The shutter button sticking sounds very odd.

As for the long delays, etc., (if it's not a mechanical problem with the shutter button), I'd try a different memory card to see if it could be defective. You may also want to try formatting the card (always with the camera menus, not the PC).

You may also want to try adifferent battery if you have one available.

I'd also try using all switches, buttons, mode dial, etc. (just in case you have some oxidation under one of the contacts causing odd problems).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:18 PM   #3

After searching all over and not finding any other topic about this issue, I'm bumping and asking again.

I have the same delay with my Coolpix 4300. I take a pictuer with the flash, then it takes it about 20 seconds to be ready to take a picture again. What it does in the 20 sec is the process that it usually does when the battery is low. I have tried all 3 spare batteries, all fully charged, and the problem still occurs. There doesn't appear to be a firmware fix on Nikon's site, so I am wondering if anyone else has this camera, and is having this problem.

PLEASE help with any information :-)
BLueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:46 AM   #4
Administrator

Make sure you didn't set it to TIFFmode (versus JPEG) by accident.

As for flash photos, the time it takes to recharge the flash will be dependent on the distance to your subject. Many cameras take around 6 seconds to recharge the flash, when it's shooting at full power. 20 seconds is excessive.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:14 PM   #5

Jpeg quality.
The picuture is stored to memory, then the lcd screen (always turned on before so that doesn't matter) blanks out for 8 seconds like it does during a "low battery" situation, then its that 20 seconds or more before the next picture... Are there other places I can look? Nikon's site doesn't have anything.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 4:19 AM   #6

From your description, it's very likely that the camera has developed a fault that requires professional servicing in order to be fixed. The button getting stuck in that way isn't normal at all. Maybe the shutter button is broken (or somewhat broken) and the camera's controller sometimes gets a message that the shutter button is depressed (even when you're not pressing it)...or at least depressed half-way. That's only a guess, but sounds like a problem that needs pro servicing.

As for that warning message that you can barely read...what do you mean by 'before it turns off'? Do you mean that the camera turns off...or the warning message disappears too quickly for you to be able to read it?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:20 PM   #7

Just to verify... I don't have any shutter button problem.

...After a picture is taken, the lcd screen shows the picture, and it then gets saved into the memory like normal on any camera. What happens next is basically what the camera does when the battery is low, but it does it way before the battery is dead. How do I know that? Because I can still take pictures for a day or two in that awefully annoying mode.

The "battery dead" process follows like this... but its not even an indicator for the battery being dead, its just when the flash is used and the battery is "dead." After the picture is saved, the lcd goes black, the flash indicator blinks red and you have to wait for the camera to "recharge" itself for about 20 seconds before you can take another picture... Still nobody else here with that problem?!

Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:13 PM   #8

Golfergirl & BlueSS

I have read reviews written by individuals who mentioned the lcd "black out" aftertaking aflash photo, and my Nikon 4300 is no different.

I seldom take any flash shots, but I do remember that the lag time is fairly long. Anyway, I got my 4300 out and tried a couple shots usingmanual mode with a normal flash setting.

In Tiff mode (high Quality): From the time I pushed the shutter button until the photo info was fully loaded into memory was about 10 seconds. Then, the flash recharged (the lcd goes blank during this time)and was ready foranother photo in about 10 seconds. Note, that I didn't refocus for another shot which would have been a few more seconds. The total time was approximately 20 seconds...the same as you have mentioned.

In JPG mode (fine Quality):The toal time was about 10 seconds, and that included the time to save the photo to memory plus the flash recharge time.

I have had my camera for a little over one year and it has always worked this way. I think thismay just be an inherent characteristic of this Nikon coolpix model. Perhaps just one of those annoyances that you have to live with.

I haven't had my shutter button actually stick, but a couple of times I thought it did.I was pushing all the way downwith my finger and nothing happened. Of course, I got worried right away. But, apparently,Ipushedonthe shutter button in such a waythat most of the force was distributed across the outer edge of the camera button insert (the top of the shutter button is nearly flush with the insert), instead of pushing down on thecenter of the button.Theshutter button on my camera issensitive to how you push on it.That has just been my own experience, maybe because my fingers are too big.;-)

Of course, you know whetheryour button getsstuck, or not.Like the otherperson mentioned, if it is getting stuck then that would not be normal and you might want to get itserviced.

Anyway, I hope this helped some.
kmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote