Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 11, 2002, 4:54 PM   #1

Default CP4500 Bulb

I am using M mode/bulb. The screen shows BULB5M, however the shutter clicks off within seconds. I cannot seem to change the BULB setting to 3 Minutes. Also, why doesn't the shutter remain open. I have the continuous mode set to SINGLE, as per manual instructions and NR is on. Must I keep pressing on the shutter for 3 minutes?

I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.
Rockgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2002, 12:45 PM   #2

yes i think so
ImageVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 5:01 PM   #3

Bulb mode, means, you have to press the shutter as long as you need, and it quits after you release your finger from the shutter. Maximum is 5 minutes (for your camera). You definitely gonna need tripod for that.
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2002, 1:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gared
You definitely gonna need tripod for that.
... and better , a remote cable too
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:26 AM   #5

i dont understand why there is no "A" mode. Well, is it called "A mode ? (when you press for start, you leave the camera alone and then you press for stop). And why only 5 minutes? What's the problem ? As long as there is power in the battery !!

My father has an old 35mm SLR and he can't use this kind of mode. Maybe is it T mode. Well, either A or T, you know what i mean. Pressing the shutter for 5 minutes is STUPID for a camera of that price.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:34 PM   #6

There is an A mode but Manual is the only way bulb can be used effectively--or not so effectively, as you state. I agree with you, ImageVince, it is a stupid not to be able to program the time without leaving your finger off the shutter. There are a few other flaws I believe with the 4500, but on the whole, it's a great camera. Thanks for the input.
Rockgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 1:23 PM   #7

As far as I know, CP4500/5700 are the leaders in long time exposure. 5 minuts is the best what you can get from current cameras. Casio has 1 minut but at least you can program it to 1 minut (no need to press the shutter that long or use the remote), some have 30 sec, and many 15 sec. I think the main use of 5 min exposure is astrophoto. But it was very stupid of Nikon to desing only 8 sec programable shutter. Without remote, bulb exposure may not be possible because of possible blur. I am sure that it was very easy to put possibility of longer exposure time in the menu. If they were able to make 8 sec. why couldn't they put 15, 30 and so on? Should make no diference for the on-board chip. Well, lets hope they will do this with the firmware upgrade.
I don't think that you will shortly see cameras with longer than 5 min. shutter. The problem is the heat during exposure which in turns gives the noise to the picture.

Togal
togal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 6:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by togal
If they were able to make 8 sec. why couldn't they put 15, 30 and so on?
Yes it's true. Nikon guys are supid !!!
Old Oct 22, 2002, 5:07 PM   #9

FYI, there is a way (admittedly complicated) to take a bulb picture at a predefined duration.

The DigiSnap 2000 can control the bulb operation of the Coolpix cameras, and when in time-lapse mode, you can pre-program the exposure duration, as well as the interval between shots. By setting the number of time-lapse pictures to 1, you can in essense take a single bulb shot at any particular number of seconds (up to 65535 sconds) in the latest version of DigiSnap firmware. Of course the camera will limit the bulb expose to 1 or 5 minutes, depending on the model.
Harbortronics is offline   Reply With Quote