Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:18 PM   #1

From time to time the unit freezes up and has been sent to repair 2 times. Sometimes on countdown too... When it locks up I cant even turn it off. Does anyone else have this issue at all?

Thanks

KM
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:48 PM   #2
Administrator

Scroll down a little ways in the forums list here, and you'll see this thread. started by another user having the problem:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=21

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:03 AM   #3

I changed cards in the camera and I havnt had it happen yet, but i havnt taking really fast photos yet, ill try that and if it starts to lock up i will let you know.
rayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:33 PM   #4

The link shows that Media transfer rate is only like 1 MB in the 1 Gb icrodrives when they say it is up to 4.

Anyway the new drives report as 57.1 - 97.9(max. Mbits/sec)
Can compact flash compete with that?

kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 2:16 PM   #5
Administrator

kieranmullen wrote:
Quote:
The link shows that Media transfer rate is only like 1 MB in the 1 Gb icrodrives when they say it is up to 4.

Which link are you talking about?

You never get the rated transfer speeds in real world use. They are probably using very optimum test conditions, without some of the write verification protocols that most cameras would probably use with their method of writing to media (speculation on my part).

In most tests I've seen, the Hitachi 1GB microdrives are considerably slower than the faster CompactFlash media. One test I looked at showed the transfer rate from an Hitachi 1GB drive (using a Fireware attached Card Reader with a fast PC) to be approximately 4mb/second.

In comparison, a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II Card tested at approximately 10.5 mb/second (more than twice as fast). An engineering sample of the 1GB Sandisk Extreme III CompactFlash Card tested at approximately 12.8 mb/second (more than 3 times as fast as the 1GB Hitachi Microdrive) -- although, the production cards may be faster (Sandisk claims 20mb/second for them).

Quote:
Anyway the new drives report as 57.1 - 97.9(max. Mbits/sec)
Can compact flash compete with that?
Well, there are 8 bits in a byte. So, this works out to around 7.1 - 12.2 mb/second (which is considerably slower than the new Sandisk Extreme III CompactFlash cards that are coming out, which are rated at20mb/second:

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ext3-cf.asp

Of course, it's unlikely that any digital cameras have an interface fast enough to the media to use this much speed anyway (yet). :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote