Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:50 PM   #1

I took some 8 second pictures (exact same shot) with different apperatures just to test it out. The AF kept blinking meaning it wasnt focusing, needless to say when I put the pictues on my laptop they didnt show up in focus. Is there a work around for this, I had read somewhere that you can change a setting and it seems to work for low light focusing, might have had somthing to do with the metering.

Also when I use Noise Reduction it seems like the camera takes at least double the time to take and process the picture. Basically i can here the shutter close after the desginated time, say 30 seconds, but it takes another 30 for it to process, is that right?

and have you ever done star rotations with this camera? same the AF doesnt focus which is expecteed because I doubt it will focus on a star but also the noise was horrible ont he one picture I did, I didnt have noise reduction on it though.

Any questions to this would be a big help. If the low light focusing is going to be a big burden issue i might have to take it back.

I took a picture of the northern lights the other night and it still didnt even focus forme then, the picture turned out not in focus and again I was displeased. Please let me know I only have one more week to decide if I want to return it or not. I may have to pick up a new camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

rayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:25 AM   #2

1)The 5400 is known for not working too well in low light. there sort of is a workaround, you can manually focus, but that sliding distance scale is tough to use.

2) Yes, exactly how it works, in NR mode the camera takes a second dark frame exposure the same length as your original exposure and subtracts the noise if finds in the darkframe from the real exposure.

3) Yes, not hard,set the focus manuallyto infinity( the little mountain image shows up in the corner LCD), and shoot away at the stars :lol:.

One of the big complaints about the 5400 is that it has no AF assist light, although this would not help for star trails and other things more than a few feet away. I don't know of any P&S(there may be some)that works well inlow light beyondtheir AF assist light range.

It also takes quite long to write out to the CF card, though the lockout length has been reduced in the latest 1.4 firmware it is still about 20seconds to write a RAW file.

rayf wrote:
Quote:
I took some 8 second pictures (exact same shot) with different apperatures just to test it out. The AF kept blinking meaning it wasnt focusing, needless to say when I put the pictues on my laptop they didnt show up in focus. Is there a work around for this, I had read somewhere that you can change a setting and it seems to work for low light focusing, might have had somthing to do with the metering.

Also when I use Noise Reduction it seems like the camera takes at least double the time to take and process the picture. Basically i can here the shutter close after the desginated time, say 30 seconds, but it takes another 30 for it to process, is that right?

and have you ever done star rotations with this camera? same the AF doesnt focus which is expecteed because I doubt it will focus on a star but also the noise was horrible ont he one picture I did, I didnt have noise reduction on it though.

Any questions to this would be a big help. If the low light focusing is going to be a big burden issue i might have to take it back.

I took a picture of the northern lights the other night and it still didnt even focus forme then, the picture turned out not in focus and again I was displeased. Please let me know I only have one more week to decide if I want to return it or not. I may have to pick up a new camera.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:31 AM   #3

hmm ok ill have to try that infinity thing, theres so many bloody features and manual controls on this camerea, I have read the manual twice over already.

I will have to take it to the legislative grounds in edmonton and get some shots, I took my older kodak DX4530 5mp there and got some amazing shots, if this nikon cant compare to that P&S kodak that I had ill be displeased.
rayf is offline   Reply With Quote