Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:59 AM   #1

Hi All,

First, I'd like to say well done to steve for a great website, and forum.

Now down to my problems :sad:

I have just received a second hand coolpix 995, Which I bought after reading many reviews including the detailed one on steves reviews.

I am very impressed with this camera so far, having upgraded from a canon s200 point and click.

After a few days of use, I thought i would upgrade from firmware 1.6 to 1.7. What a mistaker to maker!!!

Half way through the upgrade the camera switched itself off, i thought oh god, what have i done, but after powering it up again a few times, it gave me the completed message. And it shows 1.7 when powering it on and holding down a button as per instructions.

However, I think the power going off mid-upgrade has messed thiongs up, as now it will not read ANY cf cards which it read flawlessly before. The format card option is greyed out so I can't format the cards. If I format the card in a PC with FAT then the camera recognises it, insists it needs formatting, but once formatted on the camera, again it is not usuable, comes up with cf.er in camera info panel, and main LCD displays 'THIS CARD CANNOT BE USED'. Also the zooming buttons and other features don't seem to work anymore.

I don't have a USB cable, only a flash card reader. I can not try firmware upgrade again as it will not read a card, and to update the firmware you need to stick the firmware on a cf card and turn the camera on play-back.

Therefor it has rendered the camera useless. And I am as expected very upset and can't wait to get into taking some shots and learning all about it.

I am after some advice, I have contacted nikon, and one of their repair/service centers is 20 miles up the road. Still waiting for a reply, so I thought I would ask here.

My question is, Do you guys think that the firmware upgrade was partially done, and that something has gotten corrupt maybe the file I/O functions. And can a service center fix the firmware with ease? Or do you guys think I have destroyed the camera and wasted the 180 pounds I spent buying it?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Lee ( very down in the dumps about this )

UK
leeroyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2004, 4:55 AM   #2

Seems Ineed to get it serviced for £80 according to nikon support.

What a bummer! Can't really afford a big repair bill.

I was juggling between buying a second hand 995 or a new fuji s7000, starting to think I made a bad decision as it's going to cost more for the used 995.

Oh well. Will NOT be attempting to upgrade the firmware again!

Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:33 PM   #3

your experience with your 995 sounds too familiar...I downloaded the 1.7 upgrade successfully and usedmy three year old camera for about two months. Now it decides to perform much like yours. I can get it to intialize by dropping the battery out a few times and quickly reconnecting it. After taking a picture, it freezes again and the procees must be repeated. I can get it to start on the transfer setting but again, it freezes immediately and cannot be shut off.

Now the bad news....$771 to fix it according to Nikon. I bought it three years ago for $1200. My camera dealer tells me it certainly looks like a firmware problemsince the camera hardware is ok. Can't these things be reflashed?

Otherwise, I also have a very expensive boat anchor....

I really like this camera but will I get another Nikon?

I also have a box full of nice assessories such as the LED close-up light..

KM
Kaymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 4:08 AM   #4

Not good. If thats $771 us dollars, then thats almost criminal.

I have mine back from the service now, which cost me around £100.

Which is much less than your estimate, but still, I am not impressed.

I will be taking this issue up with nikon uk management any day now as soon as I can find their contact details I will be sending a few letters out, have already got in touch with local trading standards and advice Bureau.

What gets me is that I presumed as anybody would that the upgrade can only make the camera better, so like anubody would I decided to follow THEIR instruction on how to do the upgrade, and the only person benefit was for the service centre, getting my well earned cash.

Sorry to hear you are having issue and hope you get things sorted for less than you have been quoted. Thats daylight robbery!!

The firmware CAN be re-flashed, and it can't be that much of a job.

Can you take a photo, or is it unusable?

Will update this thread with my success I hope soon.

Lee
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:52 PM   #5

995s are still somewhat popular.

You may be able to recoup some of your loss by selling "for parts" on Ebay.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:53 PM   #6

I pleased to see that reflashing can be done and it makes me wonder why I was quoted a price that suggests a complete mother board replacement.

BTW, the quote was $771 Canadian, which as you say, is still robbery.

I will be interested in your findings as to what Nikon's repsonse is though.

Good thought, I am considering selling it for parts on Ebay
Attached Images

Kaymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 4:34 AM   #7

According to the service centre which fixed mine, the board can sometimes need replacing after a failed flash.

I find that hard to believe, but then I'm not a camera technician.

Lee