Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:33 PM   #1

Does anyone know if the Nikon Coolpix series (specifically the 4100) is able to take advantage of the increased access speedof the "ultra-ii" SD ??? Yes, the card is faster, but can the camera actually drive it faster, i.e. write (offload) pics from its internal flash faster? Looking at buying this camera, and trying to decide on which memory to buy with it.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 5:38 PM   #2

To start with, this is the wrong forum - this is for SLR Nikons. However, should you read Steve's review of the 4100, you will find the following:-

The shot to shot performance allowed 5 images to be captured at 1.7 second intervals with subsequent shots taken at 3 second intervals. Using flash, shot to shot time ranged between 6 and 8.5 seconds depending on the distance to the subject. Continuous mode captured 4 frames in 2 seconds, then slowing to 1 frame every 3 seconds as the camera emptied its buffer to the SD card. In continuous mode, the LCD viewfinder briefly displays the last image captured; you'll prefer to use the optical viewfinder to follow a moving subject. While it's not a high-performance shooter, the 4100 is responsive enough for most family photo ops. These timings were obtained with the camera set to single advance mode, 4M High (2288 x 1712) image size, auto white balance, and flash off with a 512MB Sandisk Ultra II SD memory card installed.

Now if "the shot to shot performance" is 1.7 seconds I don't think you need worry about which card you buy, do you? Now, on the other hand, were you to buy a D2H with 8 frames per second then you MIGHT need to consider which card to buy............
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:30 PM   #3

sorry for wrong forum, that's where I ended up during my efforts to search this site.

regarding your respose, I had read Steve's review. And, as you quoted, they in fact used the ultra II SD for their testing. However, no where in the review did it state there was any real and/or perceived performance gain from using said ultra II SD card. Would using a standard SD card (same size) drop the performance, i.e., would the performance be less that the listed:

"5 images to be captured at 1.7 second intervals with subsequent shots taken at 3 second intervals".
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 2:53 AM   #4

You cannot buy a point and press and expect it to perform like an SLR, so buying the lesser card will do. 1.7 seconds between shots is one long time, enough for Fred Flintstone's camera to writea photo! That is why I compared it to the new D2H where writing speed is important. I think you are getting bogged down in all the technicalities which are mostly superfluous in prosumer cameras. As a final thought, have you looked at the camera and tried the viewfinder? I am very suspicious of LCD as opposed to opticalviewfinders especially in low light conditions.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:29 PM   #5

Mikeb, you are in the right forum

By all means, go with Ultra II.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote