Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 16, 2002, 3:49 PM   #1

Default D100/5700 ccd vs dust

per the many posts and reviews that I've been looking into, the D100 and all digital SLR's have a problem with attracting dust when the CCD is charged. this seems to be a problem when you change lenses. my question is how does one get around this problem...aside from never changing lenses (which defeats the purpose of an SLR w/interchangeable lens capability).
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:14 PM   #2

Its not just the D100. All DSLRs with interchangeable lenses have this problem. It can even happen if you don't change lenses. It has been noted that zoom lenses can pull dust in while zooming in and out. You can't really avoid it. You can be cautious about where and when you change your lenses. I clean my sensor as needed, which usually isn't too often. Others clean it after every session.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:31 PM   #3

Default ccd vs dust (D100/CP5700)

ok...maybe I should have put the previous post under the subject of "ccd vs dust" instead of "D100". my question now is would this be a problem with the CP5700 as well? if so, how does one clean the ccd on a 5700 since it's a fixed lens?

I'm trying to make up my mind btwn the 2.
thnx....
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:07 AM   #4
Administrator

The Coolpix 5700 and any other cameras with a fixed lens do not suffer from dirt getting on the imager, it is a sealed area. Any dirt in there got in there at the factory and would have to be taken care of by the service center for the camera.

It is only a problem with interchangeable lens SLR cameras.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:27 PM   #5

thnx Steve...
I feel much better about the 5700 and the sealed lens vs dust problem now.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 1:25 PM   #6

Default Cleaning the D100

I understand that you would take the CP5700 for service in order to have it clean however; what about the D100? Can the cleaning be done by its owner or does it also have to be sent for service? :?:
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 2:38 PM   #7

Nikon suggests to return the camera to service center for free ccd cleaning. Yes, you can do it yourself as well, with your own risk (that's what nikon manual says ). But, based on what I read on many forums, it doesn't seem to be too complicated, many of the users clean the ccd themself.
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 4:37 AM   #8

Default another issue 5700 vs D100

A big issue between the two cameras is signel to noise ratio due to the size of the pixels on the chip. Then 5700 has 5 MP on a smaller chip than the D100's 6 MP. From reading I have done, the noise is the same but with a larger pixel (on a larger chip) you get better signal to noise and thus much less noise in low light situations.

This is what I understand to be true from my readings and it does explain the performance differance of the two cameras with respect to noise. I doubt it's the whole story and their are other technical issues in the D100 that also help.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSlotz
Its not just the D100. All DSLRs with interchangeable lenses have this problem. It can even happen if you don't change lenses. It has been noted that zoom lenses can pull dust in while zooming in and out. You can't really avoid it. You can be cautious about where and when you change your lenses. I clean my sensor as needed, which usually isn't too often. Others clean it after every session.
I don't think I've ever bumped into too many situations where there's not a lot of wind blowing around.

what's the process for cleaning it (DSLRs)? does one just use the usual canned air or some other special tool(s)?
Old Dec 19, 2002, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws
I don't think I've ever bumped into too many situations where there's not a lot of wind blowing around.

what's the process for cleaning it (DSLRs)? does one just use the usual canned air or some other special tool(s)?
Quote from Nikon Manual: "Remove dust and lint from the filter with a blower. Do not use a blower-brush, as the bristles could damage the filter. If using an aerosol blower, hold the can upright to prevent liquid from falling on the filter. Dirt that can not be removed with a blower can only be removed by Nikon-authorized service personnel. Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the filter. "

You can read the procedure at Thom Hogan website: http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
gared is offline   Reply With Quote