Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:00 PM   #1

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I come to you all with a sincere hope you can clear up some issues for me.

I currently have a FujiFilm S3000 and hate the darn thing. It is too big to take with my anywhere and the low-light focus sucks, I need the flash all the time and colors are all ruined by flash.

ANyways, I have looked and looked at every brand and I think I've settled on Nikon (4200) and Canon (A85). I really really like the Coolpix 4200, it has everything I want and is just the right size to take traveling with me (going to Paris for x-mas!!!). I am a strong believer in thoroughly researching a purchase of this sort and so I've been reading and reading and reading for a week straight now of user reviews from places like cnet, amazon, newegg ... all those places. I read Steve's review front to back and am still not sure what people are finding with this camera. The reviews all seem so mixed. I'll read a great one, then one which says its cheap feeling and has terrible performance (barrel distortion, pink skin tones). I don't know what to believe anymore and was hoping that some actual owners or users could give me their heart-felt opinions. I like that its small but that isn't all I want in a camera. I want very accurate pictures, I take lots of indoor shots of friends and stuff, as well as scenery outside, etc. I take good care of things, but want a sturdy camera that can go in my jacket pocket around with me sometimes (in a case).

Anyways I hope that someone out there can give me a hand, anyone really ... Steve's review was very informational, but didn't have much opinion, which I guess is what I want at this point. I want my fears set to rest ;o) or confirmed. Yea.

I preemptively thank anyone who takes some time to respond, I know its a long description of a simple request, but its a lot of money to me. Thanks everyone!!!!
monduConstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:46 PM   #2

I have the Coolpix 4100, which I think is Excellent, It takes good shots and has a good Movie Mode with Sound Playing back on your PC using Quicktime.

It has a nice selection of presets for the perfect setup, a nice Digital Zoom which doesn't produce Blockyness on your photos like some cameras do, a nice feature is the BSS:Best Shot Selector, this allows you to take more then 1 shot of the same scene a few times then the Camera will choose the best sharp image of the images taken.

Check out my webpage for my own selection of shots I have taken with my Coolpix 4100

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/another_world/nikon.htm

Regards

Quake4u :|
quake4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 3:02 PM   #3

Ok thanks for the response. I checked out your pictures, they were very beautiful. I've read a lot about skin tones being red with these coolpix cameras, have you found this at all?

Also anyone out there with the 4200 wanna comment? Thanks! I appreciate any help i can get, i'm lost here!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:35 PM   #4
Administrator

monduConstruct wrote:
Quote:
I currently have a FujiFilm S3000 and hate the darn thing. It is too big to take with my anywhere and the low-light focus sucks, I need the flash all the time and colors are all ruined by flash.
I noticed your post, and wanted to make sure you were aware of when flash is needed.

A camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure. This will depend on lighting conditions, ISO speed and aperture.

In most indoor conditions, you will need to use a flash with the vast majority of cameras. Otherwise, shutter speeds will be too slow to prevent motion blur unless you use a tripod (and your subjects are stationary). What looks bright to your eyes is not to the camera's lens.

The lens on your Fuji is more than twice as bright using zoom (largest available aperture is still f/3.0 at full zoom), compared to the lens on a more compact camera like the Nikon 4200 (stops down to f/4.9 at full zoom).

The Nikon does have the advantage of being able to set ISO speed to a higher value (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast). So, in a pinch, you may be able to set ISO to 400 (which will be noisy), and get some photos if you don't use much zoom (but even then, it will be "iffy").

So, to be practical, you'd still be reliant on the camera's flash in the same situations your Fuji needed flash.

The Nikon should focus much better indoors, though (thanks to it's autofocus assist lamp). However, Steve quotes the range of the AF assist lamp at a maximum range of 6 1/2 feet at wide angle (and less when using zoom).See his review conclusion section for the Coolpix 4200. So, don't expect miraclesin exceptionally low light. But, based on my experiencewith Nikons (I've owned a couple), and what I've heard about the Fuji S3000 focus (not so good), the Nikon should be much better in this area (even when outside of the AF assist range,provided light isn't too low and you have adequate contrast in your subject).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:30 PM   #5

Well thank you guys who responded. I decided to gamble a little and bought the 4200. I am going to sell my S3000 on ebay, the thing is basically brand new, I'll sell it with a nice case I bought for it, 2500 mAh batteries with 1 hour quick charger, and a 128 mb memory stick. Hope that will bring a little bit of money at least. Oh well we'll see.

Anyways thanks again guys .. definately appreciate the help. I bought the camera from buydig.com for $260 (w/ shipping) and I got a 256 mb SD card from zipzoomfly.com (one of my fav places to shop online) for $29 ... and I love Kingmax memory so hopefully they'll come through on this SD card too. Says its 60X ... We'll see! Anyways its all gonna come next week and then I'll know if I made a mistake or not, though I very sincerely doubt that I did. My gf has the 5200 and the pictures she's sent me look amazing.

I've never owned a Nikon before ... I'm excited!!:G
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:25 PM   #6

I'm sure you have made a good choice

Attached Images

quake4u is offline   Reply With Quote