Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 17, 2002, 8:44 AM   #1

Default 5700 and filters

what's the difference between using a 62 mm filter on the variable adaptor from Bernie (I'll call it the "Bernie") and a filter directly on the lens with an adapter ? is there no problem with flash when using the "Bernie" ?
Is the "Bernie"-setup sturdy (pro-like) and what's a good bag when leaving the "Bernie" on to the CP5700 ?
Is a UV-filter only for protecting the lens or do you get better pictures also? what do you use a polarizer-filter for ? I'm not to familiar with filters :-)
Isn't there a strap-on lens shade hood like for the Minolta Dimage 7?
I guess the "Bernie" is as good as the Nikon hood with the advantage that you can use 62mm filters on it and also connect the tele-converter in it (the inner thread) ; I'm a right ?

Thanx
dirtyharry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:45 PM   #2

The advantage of using the variable adapter is, it's screwed on the body (like UR-E8), and it should handle heavy filter or stacks of filters without doing any harm to lens mechanism. It acts as lens hood as well.

There shouldn't be problem with internal flash.

The quality of Bernie's variable is good, with black finishing, looks very professional (check the url I've given in the thread UR-E8 and filter).

As for UV and Polarizer filter, you can get some explanation at this url: http://www.camerafilters.com. Most people use UV filter as lens protection (yes, the price is cheap, and light cut-off passing it is negligible).

Nikon has its lens hood for 5700, but you can't use it together with variable adapter. Good news that the variable adapter also acts like lens hood.
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 3:45 PM   #3

and what is best or isn't there a difference:
46 mm filter on the lens (with adapter) or 62 mm filter on the bernie ? does anyone have actual experience with this ?

Thanx for that "filter" link
Old Oct 18, 2002, 1:37 PM   #4

Check thread "UR-E8 and Filters". I've just posted a quote from Bernie's email.
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:30 PM   #5

The filter adapersa that use an around the barrel adapter will degrade your image.

The problme is that ALL glass functions as a lens. Lenses are made to assume that there will bea filter at a specific distance form the front element. With a the barrel type adapters this distance varies with zoom and focus.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 1:57 PM   #6

Is that theory or experienced fact ?
Old Oct 22, 2002, 9:48 AM   #7

Has anyone actually bought the Bernie Variable adaptor and checked it out??? I hear talk of it being available but no one speaking from experienace, or are they???
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote