Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:39 PM   #11

Hi Steve (The Scubbler...what IS a "Scubbler" anyway?? Play on your last name?) What jpeg size do you shoot at?? Are your shots at that resolution written with no waiting time? I was a bit disappointed that the Tiff and Raw shots were slow (and this is only relative compared to say the Canon 20D) but in retrospect, to be fair, that's a good improvement on the time that I wait with my fastest card in my 7i. You've given a lot of good info to us on the 8800. Good work, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:09 PM   #12

Hi Kenneth. These tricky questions ! I panicked at first...then went through the camera menu and found I have it set on 3264 X 2448. I just switched it back to shoot on the "normal" 8MP setting this morning, as I had commented to another lister that the write times were slow. But after resetting, I'd have to say it takes only about a second to be ready to shoot agin. There is a rapid shoot setting that I haven't tried yet, but will tomorrow if I remember.

Scubbler is a name my wife thought up for me. It started as she said I am always in the garage "scubbling" around fixing things or inventing useless gizmos. I just made a recumbent bicycle. It then evolved to me being "the Scubbler" and now identifies any poor sod who, like me, is hunched with a bad back and looks miserable. I had to quit work four years ago, at 50, with back and neck injuries. I now have all day to scubble ! And post too many times on this site !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:01 PM   #13

I like the idea... sometimes recumbent is best, even for posing models. Well, Scubbler, nothing wrong with retirement. I managed to cross the finish line unscathed a couple of years ago, and I must say, It feels like a natural to me. I cannot believe I got anything done at all around the house when I was working for a living...my hat is definately off to all those still toiling. Don't know how they can mange any free time at all. (zzzz...yawn!) Thanks again for the info, I am now squinting at the noise in 8800 posts to see if anyone can figure that one out. And I for one would love to see some more bald eagle shots. We got magpies, and starlings up the ying yang, but the bald eagles here and up at the cabin don't pose for just anybody!! Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:10 PM   #14

Hi Kenneth. Here's an eagle from yesterday. Max zoom, 1/60 sec hand held. The eagle was in part shade on a day with hazy sun. It's been cropped and resized. If not for the zoom, vibration control and 8MP, I wouldn't have a photo at all. It's a bit "soft", but as these guys are around for several months, I'll get one in bright sun. There were four in one tree, but I couldn't get near them.

Steve
Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:19 PM   #15

Kenneth...here's another example of the Coolpix at the worst possible conditions. It was near dark, and this was shot from my front porch and over the roof of the house at the end of the block. Max zoom, 1/30 sec hand held ...so little light the flash popped up and flashed ! I cropped the frame a lot, but it still recorded rather an interesting shot.

Steve
Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:14 AM   #16

i think that both photos are great.

they are really sharp.

thanx scrubbler.
a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:30 AM   #17

Hi Steve,

You are so lucky to live in such wonderful surroundings, brilliant photo.

I have to try and get some photos from around here, I doubt I'll be able to match yours though.

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:32 AM   #18

Wow Scubbler i wish i had scenery like that outside my front porch ( i dont even have a porch mines a Peugeot :lol

Nice pic skes
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:03 AM   #19

Hi All,

For what it's worth, i have a Lexar 80x 1 GB card in mine and i'm getting about the same times as The Scrubbler about 7 or 8 sec with raw and 14 or 15 with Tiff, all others seem to be about 2 Secs, before i can shoot again, somtimes if i dont try to shoot straight away the little green icon comes on.

skes
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 7:07 PM   #20

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
Kenneth...here's another example of the Coolpix at the worst possible conditions. It was near dark, and this was shot from my front porch and over the roof of the house at the end of the block. Max zoom, 1/30 sec hand held ...so little light the flash popped up and flashed ! I cropped the frame a lot, but it still recorded rather an interesting shot.

Steve
Well done, Steve!! I've only been to HHS in summer, so to see snow there made me stop and look again. But your winters are milder than ours in Calgary, for sure...or at least in an average year. Brings tears to me eyes to see those shots of the bald eagle. They are truly one of my all time favorites to pursue with my camera. To know that the 8800 can bring them in like that really gives me hope. I bump into them most often at Fairmont hot springs, where I have a small cabin, and always bring my camera when I'm there. I don't have anything close to matching your bald eagle shots, but have new hope after seeing your pics. Took me awhile to find this topic, I sort of forgot which subject it was under. Don't know if maybe I am just wonky but I can't say I've seen anybody's posted pics with the 8800 that I could find any real faults with. Maybe it's true, beauty IS in the eye of the beerholder...er beholder!! Best regards,

KennethD