Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:04 PM   #21

Hi Kenneth. No snow here in Harrison...but it's only about 500' up the mountainsides to reach it. I'm at the top end of the Fraser River Valley and we have a mild, maritime climate. It averages about 6 C through Nov and Dec with a lot of rain (!). But snow is rare. Drive half an hour East to Hope and you hit real winter. It's nice to see the snow but not have your car rusting in the salt.

I'm really pleased with the Coolpix. This is the worst time to buy it as most days are dull and rainy and few flowers are left. I'm really looking forward to spring and lots of colour. There is a flock of wild trumpeter swans hanging around local fields that are waiting for a nice day for some pics.

I haven't seen any Coolpix pictures posted , including mine, that represent what I see at home. I have deleted a lot that I thought were flat, but now realize that at 10X zoom, a lot of contrast is lost. A touch up with the computer has saved some shots I nearly deleted. Drop by anytime for some potent homebrew, made with clear Harrison Lake water fresh from my tap ! Life is good...even if not very colourful at present.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:11 PM   #22

Here's a typical Fall day in this part of British Columbia...dark ! This is looking south at the meeting of the Harrison and Fraser rivers. The taller peaks in the back are in Washington State, USA

Steve
Attached Images

Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:15 AM   #23

Hi Steve ,

in case I am repeating myself , but you are soooo lucky to live in an area as beautiful like this, even in bad weather.

You are certainly getting the best out of the coolpix 8800. You will have to post some of your photos in the spring.

well done

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:15 PM   #24

Hi Angie. I am lucky to live here. It took me 40 years to get here after being born in England, but I'll stay ! There are a lot of people here from elsewhere. I first drove out from central Canada in 1969 and was so impressed by the mountains. It took until 1989 for us to decide we wanted to live here. Another bonus is proximity to the Washington and Oregon State coasts that are immediately below us and absolutely spectacular.

I've never been back to England since leaving at 10. I fell on my head and have almost complete amnesia of my early years and so don't remember England. I am stunned by how beautiful some of it is when we see it on TV. My Canadian wife is addicted to Coronation St. ! I keep telling her it ISN"T really like that !!!!

How about some photos of around Stonehenge...as I remember that is "the Moors" ?

Regards, Steve
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:39 PM   #25

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
Here's a typical Fall day in this part of British Columbia...dark ! This is looking south at the meeting of the Harrison and Fraser rivers. The taller peaks in the back are in Washington State, USA

Steve
What time of year does spring arrive?? Are you as early as Vancouver? Get any flowers in FEB? Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:30 PM   #26

Hi Kenneth. As I write, one of my neighbours is mowing his lawn ! February is usually when we get Springy. It never does get too bad here. I went back to Ontario last March and was stunned to see the brown grass and general lack of colour after winter. The fields stay green here, there are still some hardy wildflowers in bloom and our willows have yet to shed leaves. Winter is short and usually wet. But it lurks just up the local mountains and just to the East. I really enjoyed cross country skiing and snowmobiles when I was in Ontario and young. Now, with a rotten back and grey hair, I prefer it here. You just have to get used to moss growing everywhere. My house is only 5 years old and the roof has moss all over it. If I stand still too long, it will probably get me.

Steve
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:04 AM   #27

AAAAARRRRHHH there Scubbler!!! they say a picture be wurth ay thousand werds....yarr, (especially one from a CP 8800!) Just curious to see more of HHS. I shudder to say that spring here can be as late as end of April if the weather Gods forget us. We've had snow storms sometimes late as mid to late may...BRRRRR...Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote