Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:56 PM   #1

I now have a Nikon 5700. The only complaint is the waiting from the time I press the shutter until the time I can take the next photo. The 5700 does not use WA technology (Lexar).

I can't imagine what the wait would be using the 8800 (8 mega-pixels instead of 5). IemailedNikon and I received an answer that did not address the time you have to wait. Maybe this is a weak point with the 8800.

Can anyone help me with this question before I upgrade?

Thank you.
fmadls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:10 PM   #2

Like you, I'm interested in the 8800 but want to confirm additional information about shutter lag time. Have you made any additional discoveries in this area? :?:
imagemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:06 AM   #3

Check out thescrubbler's post...in coolpix 8800...he just bought one and has asked if anyone's interested in seeing some pics. I asked him the same question, as you. How long before the camera writes a TIFF or RAW shot before you can shoot again. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:17 PM   #4

Sorry to take so long to respond. I just did a test with my CP 8800 set at RAW and TIFF . My unscientific answers to the time it takes before being able to re shoot is about 7secs for RAW and 14 secs for TIFF. The shutter will release after this time and take another picture, but if you change the command dial, the message tells you to wait as recording isn't finished. I'm just experimenting here witha new camera, so please don't take this as gospel.

Another interesting thing that I have just grasped is the close up feature. When you select "Close Ups " from the menu, an overlay of what looks like bracket marks appear. I play first and read second...I now realize these bracket marks are target zones for focusing. So you can compose with a tiny flower on the extreme edge of the frame, and by selecting that area, the camera will focus on the flower, instead of the centre of the frame. Marvelous little camera, eh what ?

I have a 1 MB memory card. RAW shows 80 shots available and HI (TIFF) shows 42.

The time between shooting with 8MP and Extra Fine selected is about a second.

Feel free for more info...just make sure it's simple..llike me !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:49 PM   #5

The Scrubber, thanks for your interesting post and observations.

What is the speed of the 1MB card you are using? Will that not have an effect on the write speeds/lag time to next picture? I'm somewhat confused about these seemingly long times and the ability of the camera to take multiple image bursts.....I guess the key is no in changing the exposure mode.

The target zone for close up focusing you mention is truly innovative.....can't wait to get mine and start learning how to use it.

Imagemaker in Colorado
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:46 PM   #6

Are you sure it is a 1 mb card???

Perhaps you mean 1 GB card?

:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:42 PM   #7

Oops ! Oh well, I was only one letter wrong ! Yes..it is 1 Gb !! The salesman did offer me a faster card for about twice the price, but I had no idea what he was talking about. I tried some TIFF and RAW shots today, but can't see any use for them in what I want to do. It takes such brilliant shots in JPEG's that I'm happy, for the moment, staying here. Everyone that has seen my tests at full screen have commented on how sharp they are and how good the colour is. What more can I ask?

Thanks for the correction. All these MP,GB,TIFF etc etc things get confusing .

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:01 PM   #8

Thanks to digicamfan for correcting both of us. I'm one of those old timers who either put zeros behind everything or used a K, for thousands or M for millions. I need to post a chart next to my desk to keep track of all this terminology. Does anyone know of a convenient reference out there?

It seems we spend half of our days just keeping up on terminology.....and perhaps not too good at that.

Imagemaker
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:20 PM   #9

Anxiously Awaiting Steve's Production Test of CoolPix 8800.

I followed Steve's link to Ron Galbraith's Nov 8th article on CF DATABASE, looking for clues about optimizing 8800 with a CF FlashCard to minimize the camera to card write time. Galbraith says that not all camera and flash card combinations are directly comparable, meaning, some combinations work better than others. What will be interesting is how much depth Steve will be able to go into in matching the 8800 to the new high speed flash card offerings. This takes on added importance since one of the least strong points of the 8800 may be the write speed.

As Galbraith describes with new developments coming on so rapidly in flash cards, it will be helpful to know all we can about matching camera and card with the 8800.

Steve........we're eager to see the results of your good work on the CoolPix 8800 production model.

Imagemaker in Colorado
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:29 PM   #10

I would be interested in hearing about performance of different CF cards in the 8800.
I'ld especially like to know if anyone has tried the 8800
with one of the lexar 80x 4G CF cards.
Best,
Cliff
reiterc is offline   Reply With Quote