Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:04 AM   #1

Can anyone tell me if the convertor lenses ( telephoto and wideangle) for the 5700/8700 models are compatible with the 8800?

I have the 8800 on order and already own the 5700. The 8800 hasnt made it to Australia yet so I can't see for myself and the camera store cant tell me.

Thanks
shelleyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:14 AM   #2
Administrator

From pg 2 of our Coolpix 8800 First Look:

The Coolpix 8800 supports a complete series of affordable accessory lenses, which expand the camera's zoom range. The Coolpix 8800 is compatible with Coolpix accessory lenses including the 1.7x ED glass teleconverter (TC-E17ED) (420mm), the 0.8x Wide Angle Adapter (WC-E80) and the Fisheye converter lens (FC-E9.)
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:22 PM   #3

Thanks Steve

The problem for me is that the model numbers are rarely mentioned. I am particulary looking at an ebay store http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9&tc=photoand when i emailed them they asked me to ring customer service ..being in Australia that is a potentially very expensive proposition. Nikon didn't answer me either.

Can you give me some idea?

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:17 AM   #4

I would be wary of buying those lenses after my experience buying similar lenses for my Fuji S7000 from that same maker. There was obvious distortion in the telephoto pictures. If the lenses are super cheap, usually there's a reason for it.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 2:14 PM   #5
Administrator

I would not recommend using any add-on lenses that aren't made by Nikon specifically for the camera it is going to be used on. Those eBay Super Titanium (or whatever they call them) lenses are generic and made to be semi-compatible with every lens. Nikkor lenses have been made to match the original lens and compliment it, not distort it ... Don't buy a $900 camera and then stick a $50 lens on it !
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:27 PM   #6

Thnak you both for the advice