Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:37 PM   #1
f8

I have a Nikon 8700 my problem is while using a vivitar 283 in the any of the auto modes the picture is always under exposed.I'm very familiar with how to use the camera.I have a wein safe sync in the hotshoe to protect the the high voltage.

If i set the camera to manual and the flash to manual i can get good exposures.I used this set up on the Coolpix 5000 with no problems anyone have any ideas.I contacted Nikon tech support and they were no help at all.The guy i talked to had never heard of a vivitar 283.
f8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 3:29 PM   #2

Hi F8 and welcome.
I can't answer your flash exposure question but I thought that you should be made aware of the serious damage to your camera that can result if your Vivitar 283 has a high trigger voltage. I think that Nikon stipulate that 5v is the maximum trigger voltage for their digital cameras and using a flash with a higher voltage will most likely "fry" the camera electronics resulting in a very expensive repair.
Check this site for more information
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Hope this information helps.

deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:17 PM   #3
f8

I'm familiar with the high voltage problen thats what the wein safe sync is for it drops the trigger voltage below 5 volts.Actually the 8700 is safe to 250 volts thats what it says in my manual.However most older 283's have a trigger voltage of 300 or more volts.Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:28 AM   #4

Hi F8,

I found your post extremely informative as I started using the 283 with my 8700.
I just turned of the internal SB and used the auro metering . worked well most of the time and I was experimenting with distances of between 2-4 meters. In the event of under of over exposure I just compensated. But I may try using it on longer distances outside as a keylight not as a fill I was using indoors and let you know.
I had a question regarding the Wein safe sync - which one did you get and how exactly does it work? I see 2 versions on their website -http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

thanks in advance,

Isaac
ilayish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:22 AM   #5
f8

I use the Wein HsHSB safe sync.It fits in the hot shoe and the flash then fits in it.

I turned off the internal flash just as you described but still recieved consitant underexposed pics.I've tryed about everything i can think off but can't seem to figure out the problem.It works fine in manual if i set the f-stop and shutter speed.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:47 AM   #6

So do you mean by manual that you fire a test flash and take a light meter reading of that?
I just created a custom preset with internal Speedlight turned off and metering on Matrix.
Is your 283 set to manual or one of the other color options for various distances? I must say that setting the suggested f stop in realtion to the distance and ASA setting only ever worked for me when the subject is less than 6 meters away. This applies both to shooting with the coolpix and my MF Mamiya before that, where I always took a light meter reading before setting the f-stop and shutter manualy.
ilayish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:07 PM   #7
f8

Yes i fire the flash in manual at full power.I then set the f-stop and shutter speed to get the correct exposure.In any of the auto modeson the flash i can set the shutter speed and f-stop to any combination it does'nt matter the pic will be underexposed.

I used the same flashes on the coolpix 5000 i have three and they worked perfect.I've been a professional photographer for over 20 yrs and this really has me stumped.