Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:34 PM   #11

Hi Kenneth. I took the dogs out this morning and took about 50 shots on the lakefront and in the forest. So far I have to say I am MORE than pleased ! This thing is amazing !

I bought a 1MB memry card as I didn't know how many shots I could get on a 512. It looks like it will take 500 shots at 8MP, but I haven't ventured into these RAW and TIFF things yet.

The zoom is very quick . The monitor image, if you go from wide to tele, blurs until you partially press the shutter release. Not really a concern. I shot several pictures at full zoom. Hand held, in a strong wind and with frozen hands. They are as clear as a bell, so I 'd have to say the Image Stabilizer works very well !

The close up feature is also quite remarkable. I took several shots of ferns and fungus with a tad of early sunlight on them and they are excellent. I already think a tripod is best as it's hard to hold steady so close.

The flash is really interesting. It pops up when needed and if you have your hand over it, a note comes on the monitor telling you. It shoots out an orange light, so you can actually take a picture with no ambient light as it makes it's own focus beam.

I find it a little awkward to hold. It doesn't fit like some Canon's I've held, but isn't bad. The monitor is a tad small for my tastes.

My first impressions were that it was complex, but it seems very well designed and so far I'm thrilled !

I'll write a bit more later.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:43 PM   #12

I put a more detailed report under a new topic,"Coolpix 8800 First Impressions"

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:47 PM   #13

Got mine today. Nikon just dropped the price across the board in the last couple of days so procrastinating worked out for me and I got what I think is a pretty good deal. Although I needed a co-worker to call in a favour for me to get this price, I wouldn't have been able to get it on my own.

I will post impressions once I get a chance to use the camera.
Allan Lim is offline   Reply With Quote