Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:49 PM   #1

Hi. I just joined this list and think it was a good move before spending on a new camera ! I've been as close to buying the 8800 as holding it in my hand, but would like some basic questions answered.

I currently own a Kodak at 3MP that works well in bright sun, but is disappointing in low light. Will the Coolpix provide a more colourful and sharp image on cloudy days ? Will the sky still be a white, washed out non-entity ?

Will my computer, at 1.2 G have enough horsepower to process 8MG as it seems to bog down when I try a slide scan at high res ?

Will I be able to notice the difference between 8MP and 3MP on the monitor screen, as that is where I prefer to view shots (rarely print) ?

If I e mail an 8MP photo, will Winows XP shrink it down to a size other people can easily access ?

Is the lens barrel 52 mm, which would allow me to use all the filters from my film Nikons ?

I know these may seem simplistic questions, but I'm not up on all the details and just want sharp, colourful photos.

Thanks, Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:07 AM   #2

No replies. Pity, because they're good questions. I tell you as much as I know. Your PC should handle the pictures, but it may need more cache memory. The speed is OK. I don't think you'll notice much difference between 3Mp and 8Mp on the monitor except when you zoom in. You can't email 8Mp (it would take about half an hour), so it'll have to be heavily compressed. Again 8Mp isn't going to be a big improvement, if any, on 3Mp. On the subject of filters I don't think the 8800 has a screw thread on the front (??).
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:34 AM   #3

The lens ring can be removed on the 8800 which allows you attach other filters and is compatible with other Nikon products. See Steve's pre-production reveiw on the camera.

Rob
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies ! I had a note telling me the filters are specific for this camera only...figures...me with a wad full of 1970's vintage filters. I presume cache memory means adding more RAM ? That sounds simple. I was seriously looking at the new Kodak with 10X zoom until I had a neighbour tell me of repair problems in Canada. I'm hoping the Nikon will drop in price a bit before Xmas. It was $1249 Cdn around Vancouver a week or so ago, and is now down to $1229. But then you have to add the memory card. The store I went to would not deal on the camera price, but finally agreed to $10 off the memory card ! Big Deal ! We bought a camera for our daughter in a large chain in the summer and the manager gave us a memory card and a case free...and that was only a $400 camera. I'm reluctant to walk about with that big chunk of glass unprotected and wonder how much the "dedicated" filters will be ?

I have seen a couple of pictures on line taken on cloudy days that look far better than those my 3MP Kodak takes.

Steve
Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:39 AM   #5

That $1,229 price at London Drugs exprires on Sunday. However if you visit www.cameracanada.com you'll see they have it listed for $1,150 Cdn. and if I'm correct they only charge $15 for shipping and NO PST.

You'll end up savings about $150 compared to the London Drugs price.

I'm going to go to a camera shop where my friend has a contact and I'm going to try and get them to at least match the Camera Canada price.
Allan Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:47 PM   #6

I just checked Camera Canada today and their price has been lowered to $1,115 so the savings is even greater now.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 8:32 PM   #7

Hi Allan.Your comments started a train of events and I am now sitting at home with a Coolpix ! I checked the site you noted and then called London Drugs. They won't match "virtual" store prices, but had just lowered their price to $1169. I reserved one, drove straight in to Chilliwack and bought it. I also bought a 1 MB memory card and the extended warranty, making it covered for 4 years. I have had to use these warranties before and ended up with a new camera as parts for old ones are seldom kept.

I'm charging the battery and reading the quick start book. I sure like the camera ! It feels very light for the size...I'd think it was plastic if I didn't know better. It seems a little awkward to hold..particularly one handed, but maybe that will be just familiarity. I hesitated to buy this camera, but on looking closely at it, I can see it has things to address all the things missing in simple cameras. I'm not sure about the value of 8MP, but think the 10X zoom , macro ability and Nikon lens are worth it. It totalled over $1600 Cdn with the memory card, extra warranty and tax. I'm in sticker shock, but remember buying one of the first F2S Nikons in 1972 and laying in bed holding it and being so impressed. I'll do the same tonight as my wife is away and the dogs can't come on the bed 'til morning !

Thanks for instigating all this. I was driving myself crazy trying to justify the money.

If anyone is interested, I'll post my first impressions tomorrow.

Steve
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:06 PM   #8

I managed to charge the battery and get it and the memory card installed. Then I managed to choose German and lost any idea of what was happening. 15 minutes later, I'm in English ! I tried a few test shots in the house (dark outside) and am pleased to see it shoots out an orange light before flash shots, presumably to focus. And the flash shots look brilliant !

More tomorrow !

Steve
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:09 AM   #9

I'm hoping to buy mine tomorrow. Good to know London Drugs has dropped their price. I'm going to try a different store that a friend has recommended, wish me luck.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:57 AM   #10

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:

If anyone is interested, I'll post my first impressions tomorrow.

Steve
YES! Very interested. I would also like to know how long the 8800 takes to write a TIFF shot, and a RAW shot, before it is ready to shoot again. And what speed is your memory card? I am anxious to try one of these myself. Oh, and a couple more things... how does the zoom lense feel, is the focus fast, does the remote control work with anything besides the shutter, and lastly what do you think of the image stabilizer? (Nikon calls it something else but you know what I mean...) The London Drugs here in Calgary (at least the one by my place) couldn't get one in for me to check out, but they did agree to match a competitors price at 1165$. I can only chuckle at your sticker shock, but look at it this way...a good toy isworth the joy! (I realize it isn't a "toy" but "piece of equipment" doesn't rhyme) Hope you enjoy your camera, and I'll look for your pics and reply. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote