Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1

Seems like an interesting camera, but the reviews are rather scarce. Anyone have any experience with it yet?

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:05 PM   #2

Yes, I have. There are some samples at:

http://www.gysenbergs.be/gallery/bokrijk/

All images were downsampled from 5 MB jpg's with some final sharpening applied, also the saturation was bumped a bit.

There are also test shots from a Q60 Kodak Color Input Target:

http://www.gysenbergs.be/gallery/CP8400ISOQ60

All in all I'm quite pleased with the camera. Comparing to a CP4500 I used for years, the CP8400 is much quicker to start (appr. 3 sec) and the focus works OK. The main reason I bought the camera was the 24 mm.

- JG
J. Gysenbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:30 AM   #3
wll

Deane,

I have a 8400 and it is a great camera.

The images are VERY sharp, the camera feels good in my hands, it is not to big although it feels sturdy.

I bought the 8400 because of its wide lens, as I use it when we do business shows I don't need a long zoom.

When I did location scouting for tv commercials the lenses I used the most were my 20, 24 and my 28. I had 3 Canon F1-N's and all their lenses up to 500. - I wish I still had all those cameras and lenses :-) (I used Polaroid 185 and a 195, most of the time and my Canon for stock shots.

Getting back on subject, I would recommend this camera to anyone who can use the 24 mm lens, and a lens/camera combo that renders beautiful 81/2 x 11's and probably beyond.

wll
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:15 AM   #4

One of the issues I wondered about is the shutter lag. I'm beginning to get the idea there is none. Can you confirm.

Thanks for your response.

Deane
Old Nov 12, 2004, 4:28 PM   #5
wll

Deane,

I don't know what you are shoting, but for my business stuff it's fine, it does seem quick though.

I have not shot any action shots so I can't tell you in real time how the lag may effect your shot.

I suggest you go to your local camera store and try one out if you can. I bought mine sight unseen because I needed the 24mm.

Thank You,

wll
Old Nov 14, 2004, 8:34 PM   #6

Actually, mostly point and shoot family stuff at gatherings. It's hard to catch expressions, etc., with a slow shutter.

I have a Nikon D70 and a Sony T-1, so this would be to fill in the gaps for point and shoot applications. The 24mm would be a super bonus.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:50 PM   #7
wll

If that's the case, I think you will like the 8400 a lot.

I shot photos of stuff for testing around the house with my mind on your comments, and yes it does shoot without to much shutter lag (really very little).

Deane, I think you will like this camera a lot, it's small yet the images are very high quality as far as I'm concerned. It is worlds away from just a point and shoot, you will be very pleased I think.

I'm very happy I bought the 8400 instead of the 8800.

Thank You,

wll
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:45 AM   #8

Thanks Wll. These type responses are very valuable.

For me, the 8800 is too much camera to use in conjunction with the D70. At that point, I might as well just use the D70. I wanted something that's small and light to handle, sort of a walking around camera. The 8400 looks like it might be perfect.

Having come out of a world of view cameras and a concentration on landscapes, I'm more oriented to the composition possibilities of the wider lenses. I don't find much use for long lenses since I don't do birds, etc. I guess years of drooling over Ansel Adams photographs left me appreciating the "near/far" compositional possibities.

This appears to be a great point and shoot type camera that's equally at home doing serious work.

Deane