Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 18, 2002, 11:59 AM   #1

Default Coolpix 5000 in low light conditions

My Coolpix 5000 takes amazing outdoor and indoor pictures when lighting is good. However, I cannot get a good picture in indoor low-light conditions. I even tried using the Nikon SB-28 flash. What am I doing wrong?????
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2002, 11:55 AM   #2

Default Not sure...

I'm not sure what the flash distance is on the SB28 but I've used the SB-50DX and anything above the 50mm mark gave me problems but everything below it came out properly exposed!

I've determined the SB-80DX is the ideal speedlight for the camera but it will cost you $389 retail. For about $100.00 more you could get an Olympus C4040Z and use that in the real low light shots.
elterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2002, 10:37 AM   #3

what do you mean you cannot take good flash photos?? are they under/over exposed?? are they grainy, blurry? explain and i might be able to help.

also whatch where you put your fingers, so you don't cover ther flash sensor next to the hand grip. or your photos will be under exposed.
jahfakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 1:36 PM   #4

If using the built-in flash, the pics are too dark. I managed to get the SB-28X to work but I don't always what to carry it around.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 6:18 PM   #5
amr

Sounds like you could be placing your finger over the flash sensor when shooting. That happens to me all the time (because of my big hands) and the pictures always come out dark.

try taking a few shots without holding the camera (place it on a table and press the trigger down from above) and see what happens. If they come out fine, then you can assume that your hand is covering the sensor when you're shooting.

Nikon made a bad design choice hen they put the sensor near where big American hands are going to cover it easily. They should have put it over the lens.
amr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks amr / jahfakin. I tried what you said and now have great pics in low light. As it turns out, I was covering the flash sensor. Unfortunately, this is not mentioned anywhere in the manual????? Once again THANKS!!!
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:05 AM   #7

it is actually mention on a pieace of paper that came with your manual. but anyway, you are welcome.

if you continue to have problems with the flash sensor, buying the MB-E5000 battery/grip will give you more real estate to work with. great for those guys with big hands (like me).
jahfakin is offline   Reply With Quote