Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:31 PM   #11

Angie...your pictures are still available, and, I must say, beautiful ! You have a good eye. I particularly like the cactus in front of the Pan de Azucar. Your shot "running away" baffled me at first....then I got it ! Pretty well done !

Your cat looks far too spoiled, or else worn out from too many flash shots !

Thanks for the link. I'll save it to show my wife later.

Our smaller Golden Retriever stepped on a cactus in Alberta (Canada) in October and we had to take him to a vet. She said the spines enter the body and can turn up anywhere ! She couldn't find one to pull out. The year before, he managed to be bitten by a rattlesnake (also in Alberta) that should have been hibernating. He survived, but the vet said the most common bite is on bull's testicles. That will explain the leather shorts I now wear in desert areas.

Thanks again...you're a very good photographer !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:08 PM   #12

Steve,

You may want to consider a Lithium based DigiPower DPS 9000 external battery for your powerless camps.

Some of the characteristics I like about this bat are:

- Mounts on tripod mount (bat also has tripod mount!)

-Last much longer than proprietary batts.

- Portable across almost all digcams (Buy it once - use "forever")

- Can be recharged in your vehicle.

(While your family sleeps at your campsite , you can idle your car, listening to Montovani and recharge "your" battery).

Often, you see them on Ebay from a Canadian vendor.

Good luck

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:21 PM   #13

Hi DCF ! I looked up the Digipower DPS 9000 and it certainly seems to be what I'm looking for. There was a link to Ritzcamera in the US, where it is on the page for $39.95 ! It said $69.95 on the review page.

It doesn't look too bulky to carry, and while I balk at carrying more weight, the fact you can recharge from a car bettery when out in the sticks makes it quite attractive.

I'll see if I can find it here.

Imay have to rename you "Oracle".

Thanks, Steve
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:40 PM   #14

Hi Steve,

I am glad you liked my photos.

The pic called 'running away' was an accident. There were 8 of us on that trip and when we stopped at this point, everyone jumped out the car to take this photo. I was one of the last to get out and stepped back. I didn't even realize that I got the car in the picture, I only found out in the evening when I transfered the pics to the laptop.

As for my cat Lucy, those pictures are all from this year and are the last few I got from her, she had to be put to sleep after a heart attack last week. She was always cheeky and waited until the last moment to turn her head away just as I was taking the photo. I think there are few more photos of her in the Steves forums pet section.

By the way, before our Chile trip I did buy a car charger, but we only used it once. In the evenings we were generally back in Civilisation to sleep and use the normal charger. We only camped out three times and my 4 batteries lastet well for that.

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:11 PM   #15

Hi Angie. I hope I didn't make you sad commenting about Lucy. I know how you feel. We lost both our previous golden retrievers to cancer within a year and I was laying awake just last night remembering those sad last drives to the vet. We cremated them and they are on the bookshelf, with instructions to be mixed up with me when I croak. We waited a year and bought 2 more, but you never forget them, do you ? I'm not a social person and have few friends, but really like animals ( see picture at side feeding carrot by mouth !).

You shouldn't have confessed the car was in that shot by accident ! Here I was thinking what a crafty photographer you are !

I'm also wondering about battery chargers etc,. Digcamfan sent me a link to the Digipower DPS 9000 which does look to be an idea if we are without juice while camping. I'm trying to find out if it is compatible.

My condolences about Lucy. I'm sure you were a very good Mum.

Steve