Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:11 PM   #1

Does anyone know whether these new lithium ion batteries have any of the bad characteristics of Ni Cads ? Is there a "memory effect" from incomplete discharging/charging ?

If I have a full battery and only partially discharge it, can I recharge without affecting the capacity ?

My new CP 8800 has one of these little guys and it seems to hold a remarkable amount of juice for it's size. I like to head out with a full charge and so will "top" it up if it doesn't hurt it after each use.

Thanks, Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:38 AM   #2

Hi Steve,

I had a look in the battery section of Steves forums and I found this message. Maybe that'll help:-)

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=51

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:43 PM   #3

Thanks, Angie. I hadn't thought of that route, but it answers my question. I do prefer to head out with a "full" battery, particularly in the colder weather and it's reassuring to know I can just "top off" the lithium ion battery without damage.

I took some shots of a bald eagle in a tree yesterday. Full zoom, low light and I'm very happy with the results. I think you will be pleased when you buy this camera. How much is it in the UK and do they offer a 2 year warranty ?

Steve
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:54 AM   #4

Hi Steve,

some offer a 2 year warranty, mainly on the internet. the cheapest here is on the internet £599. our local shops charge £649.I am not sure what the exchange rate is to the dollar at the moment. In Euros that would probably be about E 900.

Can you post that eagle photo, please:-)?

Glad to be of help. There is soo much in all these different forums here. It's wonderful.

Greetings from

Angie

Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:35 PM   #5

Hi Angie. I just got around to converting your price for the 8800 to mine. The bad news is that you pay more ! Your price converts to $1445 Canadian and I paid $1269 with a 2 year Nikon Cdn. Warranty ! I always get mad reading about lower prices in the USA, but maybe I should be glancing home (I was born in Bournemouth) before I complain too much !

Steve
Old Dec 3, 2004, 4:28 PM   #6

The October 2004 issue of Popular Science has an interesting article on batteries. The conclusion was to not fully drain Lithiums as it prematurely ages them. Top them up regularly and keep them cool.

NiMH should be fully discharged monthly to maintain strength.

That concurs with what I previously learned on this post ! Thanks again !

Steve
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:46 PM   #7

Yes, deepcycles (fully draining and charging) do have a detrimental effect on the life of Li-Ion batteries, but it's also commonly suggested that one full discharge every few months will help the battery indicator calibration. It's also apparently bad to have batteries charging overnight (8~10 hours) but I've little evidence for this...

This is mostly research I've done with Mobile Phone Batteries, but I'm sure the principles apply to cameras and other electronics...

Anyway, a handful of deep charges per yearwon't hurt the battery at all.
kidscruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:25 AM   #8

Hi kidscruff,

I had my cp4500 now for 2 years and that has got an Li-Ion battery, I bought 4 batteries before I went to Chile last year, so that I wouldn't run out of power as we were away from civilization to take photos. they were always emptied completely, as I got busy taken photos I never noticed that battery was getting empty until the sign flashed.

I have always used them like that since and I can't really say that I noticed that they emptied quicker. Maybe I ought to try timing them. If they empty quicker that is very likely because I zoom a lot.

But who cares, with 4 batteries I have never ran out of power yet during a busy photosession.:-)

Greetings from

Frailea

Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:32 PM   #9

Hi . Your note on Chile batteries interests me. We "camp" a lot with a 23' trailer ( how brave ) and avoid campsites with power. I was concerned about the 8800 as it gulps juice more than the reviews note. I want to be able to shoot without worry, without spending a fortune on extra batteries. I think I may buy a 12volt auto cigar lighter plug in voltage inverter. That will change the vehicles 12v DC to 110 V AC, the household current in N. America . I can then plug the Nikon battery charger into the van and get a top up. I also just ordered a lap top so we can view and edit our photos while on the road. The battery on the computer is also a concern. If anyone has dealt with these situations, please write !

Frailea...I sure admire your photography and your visit to Chile intrigues me !

Steve
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:48 PM   #10

Hi Steve,

I took 3500 pics while I was there. I do have some photos on a trial account with Photobase, that has run out. I can still see them there. Its only a small selection.I don't know if you will be able to look at them though, now it has run out.

http://www.pbase.com/cactuscat

It was a wonderful 4 weeks in and around the Atacama desert.

Greetings from

Angie