Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:58 AM   #11

Thanks for your note, Zero-D . I'm interested in these adapters you have, but wonder if the problem will be the odd size of the 8800's threads. I would imagine them as 53 or 54mm as a 52mm filter will sit in place, but not grab the threads. I've heard this is unique to this camera . If anybody knows more, I'd like to hear. It would sure be cheaper to pay for an adapter and use my horde of 52mm filters than pay over $150 plus tax for 2 Nikon dedicated, but currently unavailable filters.

Nice picture ! I always drink my homebrew beer with lot's of ice and this picture got me drooling, even though it's 9AM ! Don't tell me it's straight Coke !!

Thanks, Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:28 PM   #12

Mushroom management re lens threads on 8800 lens...

"Feed 'em bs and keep 'em in the dark".

Too bad there are no Nikon reps on this forum like Panasonic Bob.

:idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:10 PM   #13

This may seem like a bad thing to do, but try hot melt glue. It is used in many industrial applications as a normal attachment method. Don't get any on the lens as the heat may affect the lens coating, and glue only 1 spot at a time so as to limit theheat buildup in the lens barrel. putting an ice cube in a plastic bag against the lens barrel prior to glueong will help with the heat dissipation.

AND, TAKE YOUR TIME. Turn on the telly, open a beer and do it over an hour or so.

RugbyEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:20 PM   #14

Open "A" beer...what about the next 5 ??? I have to plead penitent, asI removed the 52mm filter I had installed with some double sided tape on the threads today and realized the filter glass was actually contacting the lens' glass ! Panic.... until I found the mark on the center of the lens went away with a cleaning. No more home brew experiments ! I will still wait for a Nikon filter asI just can't stand that big hunk of glass sitting there naked !

Steve
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:30 PM   #15

speaking of filters, and having just purchased the 8800 and a 62mm converter:
is there a difference in filter brands?
Is HOYA worth the extra $?
Apart from UV?haze and circular polerizer, is there any other useful lens for a digital, given that photoshop can do a lot?
Do macro lenses work, and are they any good?

I'm off on a 7week tour of Japan and Australia in the New year and want my kit sorted before the trip.
Harry
RugbyEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 3:08 PM   #16

Hi all,

Here is a response from Nikon tech support as of 12/2/2004.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello: Thread count and diameter are Nikon proprietary information that we cannot release to the public. The 8800 mounts filters on the adapter that slips over the lens assembly. Nikon cannot support or recommend any 3rd party filter sets for our cameras as they can damage the camera itself.

Thank You
C___
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Thank you, C___, for your candor and honesty.

Now we know.

(Please note: C___ did give a first name but I have chosen not to ID him/her).
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:22 PM   #17

Ooooohhh ! I don't much like the tone of that response ! Sounds like the translation is " we've made darn sure you can't use anything except our expensive stuff".

How secret can the measurements be...it's not like the threads are hidden in the camera?

This, in my mind, is a corporate blunder, as a lot of folks who would look at this camera are loyal to the brand. Making seemingly deliberate efforts to make all past gear obsolete can make me feel I may as well not be loyal. I've bought the camera, but this is my one biggest gripe. Especially as their own products aren't yet available here. This is my sixth Nikon camera.

Steve
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:25 PM   #18

Just ordered a 58mm adapter from nextphoto... I live in the UK so does anyone know how long it normally takes to be delivered?

Re the dedicated 8800 filters: some of the European dealers' websites are now quoting 7 December 2004 as a delivery date.

The NC will be 30.00 (US$58.00) and the Circular Polariser will be... 79.00 ($150.00)... gulp.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:35 PM   #19

:GHello, I am newly registered. I am considering buying a Nikon 8800, and was stimulated to contribute to the filter-thread discussion:

1. I guess that the Nikon rep's cryptic response is because the Nikon Co. does not want over-strong users twisting hard on the front of the lens, damaging the mechanism.

2. Given that warning, there is an old solution that I used to mount myfilters on damaged or wrongly-sizedlens threads.

3. Simply find an an old, unwanted 52 mm filter, remove the glass element (perhaps you can unscrew its retaining ring). Now you have an empty filter holder, with Male 52 threads on one side, and Females on the other.

4. Fasten (glue, tape, or whatever works) this holder to the front of the lens, and screw the 52 mm filter into the holder. This holder will also help space the filter glass away from the front element of the lens.

5. If physical space is available on the lens-front, you may prefer to use a 55 mm or 62 mm "holder' and filter-series, to avoid vignetting.

6. Whatever you do, be careful not to damage the lens mechanism.
Silverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:36 PM   #20

Thanks All,

I was considering the Nikon 8400 and after reading about the nightmare you folks have had with the 52-53 mm insult foisted upon you by the marketing pukes at Nikon, I've decided to squeeze a few more years out of my existing Canon G3.

If Nikon and therest of the digicam industrystart treating their customers like something more than a harvestable resource then maybe, just maybe, they'll see more of my money later on.

In the meantime my bucks stay in my savings account where they'll start collecting more interest now that the Fed is likely to raise interest rates.

Caveat Venitor!
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote