Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 3, 2004, 4:44 PM   #21

As one of the first 8800 buyers, I think Nikon should give me filters as a gesture of good will. I'd be happy to report how they are worth the money...if it's someone else's !

I had my computer cleared of a ton of spam and had Norton Anti Virus installed. They gave me the CD and later, I tried to install it on my workshop computer...only to find it's a one shot deal ! We just ordered a laptop so I can lie in bed and admire my Coolpix photos...and now I can't use my Norton on this. I understand pirating, but feel I should be able to use a $70 program on my own computers. Nikon may be greedy, but I've bought their camera; why irritate me over the scraps ?

The damage Nikon refers to could be if there is any part of a filter mounted protruding beyond, and behind the lens, which would prevent full retreat into the barrel. Plus the threads are quite far back in relation to the curve of the lens, so it would be possible an "off" brand may contact the high point of the lens. I can't believe this was an engineering necessity?

It's still a magnificent camera but I may surgically remove the Nikon tatoo from my bikini line.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:27 PM   #22
Administrator

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
I had my computer cleared of a ton of spam and had Norton Anti Virus installed.
Quote:
[snip]
Steve, I run 3 programs on my computer for security:

AVG Antivirus (free edition). You can download it here (scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the link).

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

I have mine scheduled to download updates every morning at 2:00AM, and run a full system scan every morning at 4:00AM.

Zone Alarm (free edition). The first link on this page is for the free version:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ulist_download

Spybot S&D (scroll down on this page and you'll see the download links):

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

BTW, I just bought a Dell that came with Norton Internet Security. After trying it out for a while, I uninstalled it (even though I had time left on the months they included with the PC). It slowed down my PC too much, and causedintermittent problems running Outlook (errors trying to download messages, etc.)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:50 PM   #23

If anyone is interested, Camera Canada.com hastwo Nikon filters for the 8800. One is a neutral density filter @ $29.90 and the circular polarizer @ $86.23.

Both are special order, and this close to Christmas I was told by them that it would take 1 to 2 weeks (or more) for them to ship.

Jason

JayEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:03 AM   #24

Hi Jim. Thanks for your comments and the links. I'll follow through on one or the other. And I concur with your opinion of Norton slowing things down. Mine is so slow now that I was wondering what is wrong....maybe that's it !

Thanks again, Steve
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:05 AM   #25

Thanks , JayEyes. I'll check Camera Canada out. Those prices are certainly cheaper than I was quoted here !

Regards, Steve
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:19 AM   #26
Administrator

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jim. Thanks for your comments and the links. I'll follow through on one or the other. And I concur with your opinion of Norton slowing things down. Mine is so slow now that I was wondering what is wrong....maybe that's it !
Maybe, maybe not. Any number of things can slow a PC down. Iuse all 3 of the programs above. They are really for 3 different purposes (AVG is an anti-virus, Zone Alarm is a Firewall, and Spybot S&D is for Spyware/Adware). You really need protection from all 3. Often times, Spyware can really slow a PC down, too. So, it's a good idea to scan for it often with updated definitions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote