Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:21 PM   #1

My Nikon 52mm filters fit into the lens threads of the Coolpix, but don't bite, so I assume the size is about 53mm ! I'd thought the lens design may have limited the filter size, but can't believe 1mm wasn't possible. It would be nice for a manufacturer to reward brand loyalty by not making older gear out of date. Great camera...minor gripe.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:22 PM   #2

I should have added Coolpix 8800 !

Steve
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:08 PM   #3

Cheat a little...put teflon tape around your 52 mm threads on your filter to expand them to 53mm.

Teflon tape = plumber's tape.

Let me know if it works, please
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:57 PM   #4

Excellent idea ! I had contemplated taping around the outside of the lens barrel, but the clearance is really tight. I did hold a polarizer in place by hand, and I can see a tiny portion in one corner of the uncropped picture (plus my finger in the opposite).

I just tried the excellent idea of plumber's teflon tape....but it won't hold.

Rats...back toze drawing board ! I do have a welder downstairs.........!

Steve
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:07 PM   #5

You can buy a filter adapter from the people at Nextphoto.com

http://www.nextphoto.net/8800.htm

This where I got mine, and also the one when I bought my Nikon 5700 two years ago. Good quality, takes about a week.http://www.nextphoto.net/8800.htm
LandScaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:55 PM   #6

I looked at site. It looks good.

I wonder why they say the adapter is for filters only...not for accesory lenses.

Hmmmmmmm.......

Hmmmmmmmm2......I wonder if locktite Blue (nonpermanent adhesive would work with the 52 to 53mm disparity.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:37 AM   #7

I don't think you want all the weight of an accessory lens hanging on to the end of the existing lens. Thats why Nikon attaches them to an adapter that screws on the body. The filter adapter is not that heavy. I tried my nikon teleconverter & UR-8 adapter I had with my 5700, and it worked by screwing onto the end of the 8800's lens, but thats a lot of extra stress on the 8800's lens. I'm sure Nextphoto will come out with other adapter that screw on the body to use other lens.
LandScaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:34 PM   #8

Hi. Thanks for the tip. I checked the adapter out, but see they don't have one to mount 52mm filters, of which I have many. I guess that cancels that idea for me as I might as well buy the correct filter size, rather than for an adapter and bigger filters. I can see that would be the way to go if you do already have larger filters. Thanks anyway !

Steve
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:04 PM   #9

No filters available here until January. I was out in the rain this morning and after cleaning the lens, felt it was time to hang something in front to protect it. I spent quite some time trying to build up a 52mm skylight filters threads with aluminum tape, but it failed. So then I cut a very narrow strip of double sided tape and put that on the threads and it holds it just fine ! Maybe I won't bother buying their expensive one-of-kind filters !

Steve
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:38 AM   #10

I'm not too experienced with filters but I got a macro lense and filters with my 8700 and the "adapter spacer housing thing" says 52mm and the filters that say 52mm screw into it. And it came with a 52mm-46mm adapter for some of the lenses. I will try to describe so you can either know that I'm clueless or I have THE adapters for the coolpix 8700/8800. Where the lense cap would screw in is where adapter 1 goes "Merkury for 5700,8700" Then the extension screws into that so the lense doesn't hit your filter and give lense error. Then into the extension goes the Bower 52-46 adapter. Then in my case, the SAKAR Close Up +4 lense goes out front. If this is old news blow it off. If not hope it helps. My stuff is definitely 52mm on the nut.
Attached Images

ZERO-D is offline   Reply With Quote