Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:13 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I am new this to forum and thought I would post my digi-cam buying & camera experience in case it is of intrest or helps any of you out there.

Well,my wife and Iwerein the market for a new digital camera (upgrading from an old 35mm) and decided to do some research on the internet. After many hours of web browsing and a severe case of information overload, I decided to go with the "middle of the pack" the Canon Powershot Pro1.

Well, that night, my wife and I decided to try the camera out. We charged the battery and started going picture-happy. Anyway, the end result was that the Canon took good quality pictures but at full zoom it was very difficult to keep the camera from shaking (which resulted in blurred images) and using the macro or super-macro mode was really really useless (more-so the super macro mode) as at that level of zoom, without using a tripod it really is (I would like to say impossible) to keep the camera from shaking and producing a blurry image. I should also say that the AF was really really slow under dim light, occasionally it took 8 or 9 tries before the AF would lock ontarget.

We decided that night that we would return and exchange the Canon for the Nikon 8800 (which was about $150cdn more). I was a little concerned withthe 8800 as there wasn't any reviews posted (and still doesn't seem to be) but we accepted the risk and took the camera. Sofar, I couldn't be more pleased.. The picture quality is great and the VR works nicely with absolutely no image blur. The 10x optical zoom also makes for a handy tool.

I have a couple of questions though.

1) For Image quality, I know there is a fairly large compression difference between the "Extra" and "Fine" settings. Has anyone actually seen a quality difference between the two though?

2) I don't know if Steve is reading this but has anyone heard on when a full product review on this camera will be done? I love the camera but I am still curious.

As for anyone else, I tried most of the settings for the Camera.. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to answer.

Thanks & hello to all

Jim
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:42 PM   #2

Hi. Thanks for your post. I, too, took a risk and bought the Nikon, but hadn't tried any other "expensive" camera first. I also wonder why the delay in pro reviews, but after having the camera for several days, don't need one now as my personal opinion has been formed. I am very impressed with the clarity of full zoom and close ups with the Nikon. As long as it proves to be reliable, it seems a winner. I

I tried shooting at different settings and don't notice any better quality going into Extra Fine, TIFF or RAW, but then I don't know what to look for. To my simple eye, the clarity of shots at "normal" 8MP is far beyond what I hoped for.

I'd enjoy hearing any additional thoughts you may have. Did you buy any Nikon filters for it...and if so, how much are they ?

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:47 AM   #3

Hi Jim and Steve,

I posted this link in the betting question before, but it might be of interest to you here too.

I don't know how profesional this person is, but it might be worth a look.

http://www.axelwolf.org/reviews/Nikon8800/index.html

Greetings from

Angie

frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:57 AM   #4

It's one of the cameras I consider to buy, but the noise at iso 100 already, and the electric zoom frightens me a bit...

I have a Minolta Dimage 7, like it, but it is very slow.

Looking for a sheep with five legs... a DSLR with the zoom rangeof the 8800...
Chaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Administrator

We are currently working with a production Coolpix 8800 (and the 8400) and will finish our reviews with sample photos and conclusion in the next week or so. The delay was in getting the cameras from Nikon as they have only just gotten them to us reviewers. Nikon always feeds their retailchannel before they give cameras to their PRcompany to give to us
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:28 PM   #6

The electric zoom is a bit diabolical. It tends to slightly over, or under rest at the point you have chosen. It's not a big concern, but can be a bit frustaring if you are trying to precisely frame something. I think a grain of salt is needed as the 10X zoom is amazing in such a short lens and with the Vibration Control, makes hand held 350mm shots possible. 2 or 3 years from now, this zoom may seem "old", but right now I find it rather amazing.

Steve ( not The Steve !).
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:35 PM   #7

Thanks for monitoring concerns "Steve" ! I am really looking forward to your review as I have bought the camera, partly based on what I saw on your site with the pre production model. I've forwarded this site to several digitally interested folk as I think the format is excellent. I like the shots of the camera with reference to others and a CD. Gives a good idea of the physical character of the camera.

I've tried all the settings now and will be interested in your opinion of using the RAW and TIFF settings. I can't see a benefit...but don't know what to expect. I am pleased with the Panorama feature and VERY pleased with the close up capability.

Thanks for running a very interesting and informative site.

Steve ( just a regular Steve of no importance)
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:38 PM   #8

While I think of it, Steve. Any chance you would know of any filter options other than Nikon for this camera ? The poorest feature, for me, is the "odd" size filter threads. I'd enjoy your thoughts on why they couldn't make the threads 52mm, like so many film filters.

Steve
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:15 AM   #9

Steve, Thanks for the reply! I'll continue waiting for your review with baited breath. :|

Angie: Thanks for the link.. I forgot, but while I was still "lurking" the message boards, I had checked out that link from one of your previous posts.. It seemed like a fairly good review but like you said, it's difficult to know how professional the opinion is.

Steve (The Scubbler): Nope, I haven't bought any filters yet.. I was thinking of possibly of getting aUV filter since I've been hearing from everyone that the glass is fairly easy to scratch (and a big piece of glass it is). I'm leaving for Montreal on businessthis comingMonday though for 3 days so I am looking forward to bringing back some pictures.

Thanks everyone.

Jim

Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:15 AM   #10

Oops,my last message posted twice. (deleted)