Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:50 PM   #1

An online vendor offers a Nikon 2 year warranty on Coolpix series for $49.

Anybody ever purchased one or had need to exercise it?
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:22 PM   #2

My Canadian CP 8800 has a two year Nikon warranty. I did purchase another 2 years through the store I bought it at. I also have a 3MP Kodak. It is with me as a replacement for the 2MP HP that broke during the store's extended warranty. After a 2 or 3 week wait, the store told me they could not get the HP repaired as there were no parts. They offered me the current equivalent at no charge. I paid a few bucks extra and moved up to an optical zoom and 1 more MP. The extra 2 years on the Nikon cost me 1/10 of it's value and I consider that a good buy as I'll be surprised if parts for this camera are available 3 or 4 years from now. In which case I'll get a new replacement camera .

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:40 PM   #3

Unfortunately, per a vendor, you cannot transfer an extended Nikon warranty as you can with Panasonic.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 6:15 PM   #4

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
My Canadian CP 8800 has a two year Nikon warranty. I did purchase another 2 years Steve
Hi Steve, I have been reading your comments with a great deal of interest. I am going to purchase another digital camera, after enjoying my 7i for 2 & 1/2 yrs. The Nikon 8800 has really caught my eye. I think I would prefer a manual zoom like I'm used to with the minolta, but given all the desirable options on the 8800, I could overlook the motorized zoom. Is the standard warranty from Nikon on the 8800, for 2 yrs? If so, thats another point in their favor. I understand the raw files, and tiff shots take quite a while to write. Have you actually timed these shots? I wanted to get a faster camera than the 7i, but doesn't sound like the 8800 is any speedster, but...this too I might learn to live with. I have been watching every day for (THE) Steve's review, but you can certainly fill in some of the gaps here, until that review gets out. Much appreciate your reply, Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 6:18 PM   #5

Standard warranty w/8800is for one year.

Extended is for two (more) years.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:25 AM   #6

In Canada the standardNikon warranty on the CoolPix 8800is 2 years. One of the nice selling features of this camera here in Canada. Ordered mine from Camera Canada Thursday! Can't wait for it to arrive!

Jason

PS...I did get a 2 yr extended warranty, for a 4 yr total. This particular extended warranty alsohas a "No Lemon" clause....if the camera is a dud, can't be repaired after 2 attempts it is replaced.

JayEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:44 PM   #7

Hi. The Nikon box has "2 year Canadian warranty" right on it. That in itself is good. I opted to spend $120 more to extend that to four years. If repairs are not possible, an equivalent new camera is provided.

The electronic zoom is not the camera's best feature. It zooms fast enough, but is a little awkward to stop exactly where you want it. And then you must refocus by pressing the shutter release. This may only matter if you are in a hurry to shoot. I have found that with 8MP, you can blow the image up so much without "grain", that the initial size doesn't matter so much. I was 60 feet under a bald eagle this morning, in overcast light. I shot 3 pictures on Auto, 10X zoom at about 1/125 sec and they are superb ! I'm VERY happy.

I experimented with TIFF and RAW files. RAW took about 7secs before being able to reshoot and TIFF 14 secs. I find the 8MP Extra Fine setting gives me such good shots that the other 2 won't see use. I have a 1GB card.

Steve ( not "The")
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:47 PM   #8

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
Hi. The Nikon box has "2 year Canadian warranty" right on it. That in itself is good. I opted to spend $120 more to extend that to four years. If repairs are not possible, an equivalent new camera is provided.

The electronic zoom is not te camera's best feature. It zooms fast enough, but is a little awkward to stop exactly where you want it. And then you must refocus by pressing the shutter release. This may only matter if you are in a hurry to shoot. I have found that with 8MP, you can blow the image up so much without "grain", that the initial size doesn't matter so much. I was 60 feet under a bald eagle this morning, in overcast light. I shot 3 pictures on Auto, 10X zoom at about 1/125 sec and they are superb ! I'm VERY happy.

I experimented with TIFF and RAW files. RAW took about 7secs before being able to reshoot and TIFF 14 secs. I find the 8MP Extra Fine setting gives me such good shots that the other 2 won't see use. I have a 1GB card.

Steve ( not "The")
Just the info I was looking to find. Could that be the same bald eagle that I couldn't zoom in close enough with my 5MP 7i? Maybe next time with a new 8800 I'll get a nicer shot! Harrison Hot Springs is one of my favorite vacation spots. I rented a jet ski and toured the lake a couple years ago. I got some great pictures of racoons by the hotel...a momma and three or four of her babies. Thanks again for your help. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:49 PM   #9

Hi Kenneth. The bald eagles here are like sparrows in the city..one on each tree. It's salmon time and these guys are around for the smelly offerings on the shore. I counted 29 flying in circles at one time. We were in Alberta in October. One of our dogs found a cactus to stand on. Last year a rattler bit him. My Alberta vet bills would almost buy some Coolpix accessories ( I've priced them and this is not true ! ).

Glad you like Harrison. It's raining and deserted right now...just how I like it !

Steve
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:08 PM   #10

I just bought a 5 year Mack warranty for $59.00 through buydig.com. I bought the camera from them so I'm not sure if they would just sell the warranty. I paid 732.00 with shipping. I'll let you know how I like it. Now I have to decide on a flash card. Some of the review say that the camera can't take advantage of the higher speed cards. I wonder.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote