Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:04 AM   #11

Gordon_O wrote:
Quote:
Steven & Jon,

I just ordered an 8800 and do not plan to attach any UV or ND filters for "protection". Discussions in another forum have convinced me that this is not desirable or necessary. When paying lots of dollars from a great ED lens, why put a cheap piece of glass in front of it to degrade the image? The only filter effect that can't be well simulated in Photoshop is a polarizing lens. When dealing with glass or water reflections a polarizer can be useful.

I've been told by a someone that I respect that he saw a Nikon salesman put out a lit cigaret on the front of a Coolpix lens. After wiping it clean, he showed that there was no damage to the lens coating! Impressive! The coatings are made to be very tough. There is nothing to protect. Anything that would harm your camera would also harm your face!

When not using your camera, always put on the lens cap. When in use, normal care and caution is all you need.

I've been convinced that protection filters are a waste of money and may slightly degrade your image. They are a gimmick to sell more unnecessary stuff.

Gordon
(your mileage and opinions may vary)

I'd rather replace a $50 UV filter than a $250-350 (usually half camera price for point-and-shoot)lens. Even if it does slightly degrade the image (an idea which you provide de facto) it's well worth it (once again you haven't proved this in any way). When a soldier wears body armor it impairs his ability to move, but I'll bet you he sure is happy when it stops a bullet.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:40 PM   #12

Hi T Nuke. I agree with you. I've been using my camera bare naked since trying to tape a filter on it and it's not making me happy. One of my dogs, Spud, managed to get a sandy and very snotty nose print on it one day and I've had rain smear it, too. I hate wiping a lens and would prefer a filter over it. If the filters degrade the image, I hope Nikon puts a disclaimer on theirs, as at the price, they should be optically near perfect ! It is frustrating to have to wait for them and I still think Nikon could coordinate the camera's release with the filters.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:11 PM   #13

Steve,

Thanks for telling everyone about your frustration getting a filter for your 8800. Good grief, Nikon is jerking its paying customers around and this 52 mm vs 53 mm nonsense is an unacceptable tactic by the marketing pukes at Nikon.

If theydon't back off, then my D70 will be the last Nikon I ever buy. Really, there is no need to take a hosing from a digicam manufacturer these days coz the competition is fierce and others (Canon, Fuji and Sony) can build cameras just as good or (in the case of the G6) better than Nikon.

Steve
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:19 AM   #14

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
I've been trying to price and obtain things for my 8800. One store told my wife you could not use any filter, other than Nikon's, for this camera as they aren't "ground properly". One store tells me the lens hood if $50...another $75. I ask about the optional batterypack (6 AA cells) and they keep telling me about the standard Lithium Ion one. The bottom line is that nobody has stock and won't until the new year. I don't understand why Nikon releases the camera without the extras being available. I want a skylight filter on that front glass, just as protection. One store says it is $45..the other says they don't make one. Nobody has one anyway.

That does it..I'm back to experimenting with old 52mm filters and will try the Loctite blue idea .

Nice camera...poor customer service.

Steve
I just saw some info on the CP8800 lens hood. It's a two piece affair witha circular tube screwing directly onto the lens threads, and a petal hood that clamps (?!) onto this tube. The short tube is actually a step-up converter with 67 mm threads on the forward side so you can use 67 mm filters with this hood. It also has a little window on the side of the hood so you can rotate a polarizer filter without taking off the hood.

Be aware though that you CANNOT use the special Nikon filters that screw directly onto the lenswith this hood. They're not threaded on the outside. .... sheesh...

Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:57 PM   #15

Hi Santos ! Thanks for answering a question for me. I just sent out queries about the lens hood and filters and would be really angry to find they won't work together. What on earth were those Nikon dudes thinking ? I guess I'll buy a hood and shop for other filters, which should be cheaper than all Nikon anyway.

Thanks again !

Steve
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:55 PM   #16

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
Hi Santos ! Thanks for answering a question for me. I just sent out queries about the lens hood and filters and would be really angry to find they won't work together. What on earth were those Nikon dudes thinking ? I guess I'll buy a hood and shop for other filters, which should be cheaper than all Nikon anyway.

Thanks again !

Steve
Hi Steve:

I find the Nikon design to be poorly thought out. It does allow you to use standard 67mm filters, but the hood is clamped onto the adaptor with a small thumbscrew. It will be knocked off everytime it bumps into something...

You should check out the NextPhoto site. They have an interesting two part variable adaptor that's compatible with the Nikon 53.5mm filters or with the Nextphoto58mm filter adaptor. Could also be used as a lens hood !!

http://www.nextphoto.net/

regards...

Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:44 AM   #17

Steve CZ said:

Good grief, Nikon is jerking its paying customers around and this 52 mm vs 53 mm nonsense is an unacceptable tactic by the marketing pukes at Nikon.

On another forum a guy named Rick Ryan suggested that the reason for the odd filter size and Nikon's own adaptor is to prevent people from putting heavy accessory lenses on the 8800 and, perhaps, damaging the zoom. Something I hadn't thought about but, in looking at the extension of the 8800's zoom barrel it makes sense.

I bought a 58mm adaptor (3rd party), but it didn't work properly. Didn't tighten onto the Nikon. I've been promised a replacement, but havn't received it after a week's time.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:58 AM   #18

Gee Walter, Sounds like you're letting 'em off too easy. That would mean, you couldn't install a tele or wide angle lens (maybe they'll come out with special, lightweight, plastic 'glass' ones:?) when others have and do hang heavy ones off the end of their 10x IS bodies. I would give no quarter to this silliness lest they get brave and come up with the next step ...
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:49 PM   #19

Just passing along someone else's thoughts. When (and if) I get my replacement adaptor from nextphoto I'll stick with filters. No tele's or wide-angles.

BTW, has anyone with a filter adaptor compared photos with and without a UV filter on the 8800? Any degredation?

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:58 PM   #20

Hi Santos. Thanks for the info. I am primarily still aiming at having something in front of the lens for protection. I've already had two unpleasant experiences. Perhaps I can just be happy with the lens hood attached, but I'd like to see one before spending more. I was told stock wouldn't be in until the new year, and would only be on "special order", so I can't look first. I'm not overly angry at Nikon as I do appreciate the camera, but I do think they should have had a group meeting before releasing a camera to decide how best to satisfy loyal customers. I think a lot of companies have fractured departments and don't work together. My recent purchase of a laptop online was a disaster, with no one person in the company aware of, or even in contact with the others.

I did try mounting a 52mm filter with some tape on the threads, but noticed the glass was touching the lens. I wonder if the curvature of the lens glass has made it necessary to have special filters that don't touch and yet still don't block the corners ? Nikon should point out this, or whatever reason is true, to the public. There must be at least 1 Nikon employee who reads these lists ???

Steve