Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:20 PM   #11

Hi Angie. Too many choices ! I know how you feel. I felt the Nikon was an awful lot of money compared to the cameras with about 5MP and 4X zoom. My brief experienec with the camera makes me think the 10X zoom and 8MP are definately worth the extra. I'm a little disappointed at the way my photos appear after e mailing or posting. I was stunned at how bright and sharp my first attempts were when viewed full screen at home. Maybe one avenue would be to ask a store if they would be willing to take back the Nikon if you aren't pleased. It's enough money that it should be performing above lesser priced models. I was very close to buying a Canon, but the two people I know that have them, both say how much better the Nikon is.

I'm learning more about it each day. I've answered my own questions about file size reduction for posting, as you can make a reduced size copy right in the camera, just by reviewing a shot and pressing the shutter. There is certainly a lot of thought put into this camera. I'm unhappy at the specific filters needed and the high price of accessories that aren't even available here yet. But with an included 2 year warranty in Canada, I think it's a reasonable price compared to the competition.

Good luck. Keep us posted !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:00 PM   #12

frailea123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve,

Very nice landscape, those and close-ups are my favourites. All those photos are well appriciated. Well done.

Why is it that I still can't make my mind up:sad:. There are so many different opinions on the net, what am I going to do?:?

Greetings from

Angie
You are indeed fortunate in one respect, because you have so much to choose from. This of course is a direct result of how much digital cameras have evolved over time. And a very short time I might add. When I bought my first serious digicam, I sprung for as much as I could afford, with as many features as I could get for the buck. That was nearly 3 years ago. I don't regret going for the gusto. I paid $1700 (CDN) for a 7i, 5 MP 7X zoom. (flash card and taxes incl) I have smoked through over 14,000 pics since then. (Just an expression) I am happy to say I find myself in the same boat as you, wanting a new camera, faced with a lot of choices. BUT...good choices!! No longer limited to just one or two very nice cameras. I am leaning heavily toward the Nikon 8800. I have tried the Canon 20D, and a lot of others. Formymoney, I want great zoom, compact size, big pixel size, rugged construction, well thought out control buttons, good warranty, manual zoom, optical viewfinder, fast write speeds, no lenses to change,and compact flash media. Oh!...And image stabilization...yes. Well...they ain't no such animal. But the Nikon gets me feeling like it might be close enough. I am turning blue holding my breath...for the great and wonderful "STEVE" to review it....(me and four million others) So don't despair. Be patient. Keep reading this site. You'll wind up happy. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:49 PM   #13

Good goin...scubbler!

Good job with that camera. Thanks for posting your pics. Really is great to be able to read about a product being used by someone who actually owns it. And seeing the results is a bonus. Very much appreciated. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 26, 2004, 2:26 AM   #14

Hi KennethD,

I am very lucky, because I am really happy with the digi I have bought nearly 2 years ago to the day, the Nikon Coolpix 4500. And guess what, I made my decision to buy that one after reading the review Steve wrote here:-).

So the waiting and the final decision is not quite so hard. I am at the moment wavering between the D70 (because of the response speed) and the coolpix8800 (because of the more pixels and the 10x zoom). Not an easy one that one. A friend of mine has the D70 and let me take some pics with it and I was impressed. Now if that one would have the LCD screen to fold out (a bit like the twisting action of the 4500 which I love) then that would be the one for me. And I would only use one lense, I don't like changing lenses and I am mainly automatic:-). There the 8800 would be better I think.

Oh I don't really know???:?

It will come to me one day which one is the best for me. There might be an even better one next year, who knows.

Greetings from

Angie

Here is another pic of the 4500

Attached Images

frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:30 AM   #15

frailea123 wrote:
Quote:
I am at the moment wavering between the D70 (because of the response speed) and the coolpix8800 (because of the more pixels and the 10x zoom). Not an easy one that one. A friend of mine has the D70 and let me take some pics with it and I was impressed. Now if that one would have the LCD screen to fold out (a bit like the twisting action of the 4500 which I love) then that would be the one for me. And I would only use one lense, I don't like changing lenses and I am mainly automatic:-). There the 8800 would be better I think.

Oh I don't really know???:?

It will come to me one day which one is the best for me. There might be an even better one next year, who knows.

Greetings from

Angie

Here is another pic of the 4500

Hey Angie...Nice shot. I would call that one a keeper. I see you have much the same puzzles to solve as I do, making up your mind which camera to buy. I love the speed of the DSLR's, and the larger image processor, or CCD, CMOS in some...but the expense of camera and lenses combined certainly weighs heavy for me. And as I checked out Canon's D20, I got to thinking about dust on the CCD, as you change lenses. Which of course when it happens will be noticeable on every shot. I'm told it's not a question of IF it will happen, but rather WHEN. I was also told that it can cost fifty plus $ to get it cleaned. So...then, well it makes you look again at the prosumer models, one lense, less money, image stabilizer....big zoom...and you are right on about one very important point. While we wait and hum and haw...the pot gets sweeter, seems every few months there are better cameras, better prices. Another bit of good news we both have cameras to use in the meantime! I dunno...LOL Perhaps Steve's review of the 8800 will push me in the right direction. (That and scubblers posts...I like what he has to say so far.) Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:12 PM   #16

Another thing...since the object of our curiousity IS the 8800, have you seen the other topic...about "THE NOISE" coming from the 8800? I don't mean electronic picture noise, what they're talking about is an actual audible clunk or something. Take a look. I am watching the topic because a couple of them have had replies from Nikon. One says ...noise is ok nothing amiss, other sez send'er back. Others say they hear the noise...but aren't concerned cuz camera works fine. How interesting! (So patience IS a virtue after all...) Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 26, 2004, 2:53 PM   #17

Another beautiful close up, Angie ! Now you're making me jealous, as I've been desperately walking around looking for some colour in the November rains ! I'm sure looking forward to Spring and the flowers ! I went out this morning looking for some better eagle pictures, but didn't succeed in the gloom and rain, although the subjects were patiently cooperating.

Do you have any interesting landscape shots from around home ?

Very nice photography !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:44 PM   #18

Here enclosed my collaboration of a picture with my 8800.

Greetings Ronorro
Attached Images

ronorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:46 PM   #19

Another picture sample with my 8800.

Greetings Ronorro
Attached Images

ronorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:29 AM   #20

Hi Ronorro,

Very nice pictures. I like the Petunia? best, I do like close-ups of flowers. I have taken loads in the last 2 years, ever since I had the coolpix 4500. Nikon must have done something right with that one:-)

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote