Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1

I'll ask here, as this is where I'm "hanging out ".

How do you post pictures on this site? I'm not sure what I should be doing to reduce file size to the limits. Other sites do this "automatically" and so I've never learned how. I've treid a couple, but, after ages, found they were too big.

Expert help required ! Windows XP

Thanks, Steve

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:26 AM   #2

Piece of cake! Look at the top right of this page. See the Help in the bracket? Click it and ride it home! Steve's Digicams intructions will have you posting pronto! As for reducing your pic to posting size, I don't use W XP to do mine. I like managing my pics using ACDSEE, and there you just click on tools, click resize and follow the prompts. I hazard a guess and say all software pretty much follows this procedure, it's really a no brainer. Can't wait to see your pictures! (I actually handled the 8800 in the store the other day, they just got'em but the battery was dead from so many others playing with it. I'll be back....) Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:55 AM   #3

I just took a browse thru XP. If you open your photos in MY PICTURES you will be able to do some limited editing. But the only way I could see to reduce the file size was to highlite the pic, choose email this photo and it will ask you if you want to reduce it. If you clicked ok and emailed to yourself that would work...but that's a lot of effort. I did not discover any other way in the short time I peeked thru it. You can download a free copy of ACDSee (I think.) from their web site. But even so, the whole package doesn't cost that much, and does a great job of managing photo files, including basic editing. Maybe someone reading this can offer more help. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:38 PM   #4

Hi Kenneth. Thanks for your interest. I have mailed myself a copy of a photo and attached it here. Lets see if it is reduced enough ! I have the ACDSEE program, but I'm not sure how much to reduce the picture size to. I wonder if shooting at 8MP makes my files just too big to post ? This is a grey area for me (as you can tell ).

Steve
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:50 PM   #5

Well,you're doing something right for sure. But that grey area looks more like a bald eagle to me!! (kidding of course...) Really nice shot too. I think somewhere around 800x600 should do for your pics. If you go to tools in ACDsee and then resize it will open a window and let you choose the size to reduce to. I forgot to check the size a couple of times in some of my first posts and had to fiddle about a bitbut got it eventually. This ones an 8800 shot, right? Got any more? Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:18 PM   #6

Hmmmm....Making sure not to get bytes and pixels mixed up, check the byte size before you post. Note that the little notice beneath the browse box where you select your pic file says not to exceed 250400 bytes, but taking into account jpeg etc., with it's compression, maxing somewhere around 90k might do, (many of mine are a lot less, and I'm ok with'em) just check the file size before you post. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7

I'm trying !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:13 PM   #8

Hi Kenneth. Thanks for the advice ! I'm now able to see what the file size is. Some are well under the 250,400 byte limit, but won't post. Of well...it's beyond me ! I notice quite a significent loss of sharpness and contrast from the "original" to the way it appears on this list. My full screen images here are spectacular (in my opinion) as far as the sharpness, colour and contrast (compared to my 3MP Kodak).

I'll try some more...one at a time !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:16 PM   #9

Another !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:36 AM   #10

Hi Steve,

Very nice landscape, those and close-ups are my favourites. All those photos are well appriciated. Well done.

Why is it that I still can't make my mind up:sad:. There are so many different opinions on the net, what am I going to do?:?

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote