Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:11 PM   #1
wll

I just got a battery pack for my 8400 but when I load it full of fresh batteries it reads just barly full, is this normal on most Nikon packs?

I'm using Lenmar batteries, 2000 mAh. They work fine in my Oly D-535.

Thanks in advance,

W L Leven
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2004, 3:47 PM   #2

Assuming you're using NiMh rechargeable cells it is possible they are not fully charged or - most likely - the battery pack is underrated by the voltage measuring circuitry. 6 NiMh AA cells give 7,2 volts (1,2 V times 6). If you want to experiment, try 6 alcaline cells which are 1,5 volts each which amounts to 9 volts.

The EN-EL7 battery measures 8,4 V fully charged . That would explain the 'battery low' indication with a 7,2 V NiMh 'sixpack'.

However, since you can shoot appr 300 pics with the EN-EL7 (8,4 V x 1100 mA = appr 9 Watts) you should be able to shoot appr 450 pics with a 2000 mA battery pack at 7,2 V (appr 14 Watts). If that's the case, all is OK except for the faulty indication.

A more clever voltage measuring circuitry would take into account the kind of battery used (like eg a Garmin GPS where one can indicate which battery is used).
J. Gysenbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:11 PM   #3
wll

Thank you very much, I will check that out and see if it's the case.

W L Leven
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:39 PM   #4

I have the MB-CP11 for my coolpix 8800 and can tell you that i ran out of (personal) energy long before the nimh batteries went dead. I use the powerex 2300 Mah batteries from Thomas distributing and have had a lot of success with them and the Maha units. I do not remember looking at the battery indicator but will the next time i use it.
jmadura is offline   Reply With Quote