Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:45 PM   #1

I've attached photos of my new Coolpix 8800. extended to about 300mm beside my 1972 vintage Nikon F2S with 300 mm lens. Quite a size difference ! The Coolpix is about 1 1/2 lbs and the F2S combo, 4 1/2 lbs ! No wonder I've got a bad back ! The Coolpix pretty well does all that my suitcase full of gear did for me, but without changing lenses and hefting all this stuff around.

I'm old enough to be amazed at all this electronic stuff. I spent years developing prints in smelly darkrooms and now can shoot, and view in seconds.

I did have to buy another Nikon. It must be in the blood ?

Steve
Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:47 PM   #2

Oops...I guess I can only post one at a time ?

Steve
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:19 PM   #3

Very interesting pair of photos

Film still does better than digital but the distance in quality between the two ever narrows

Look like a heckuva an Ebay find (all your old Nikon film gear) should you choose to go solely digital!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:07 PM   #4

E Bay sounded like an idea to me as well. Then I checked the going rate for oldies and it wasn't what I'd hoped it would be. Plus I was bright (?) enough to engrave my name on everything during one of those personally hazy days in '72...doubtless lowering the value a lot. I read (I think in Popular Science ) an article about development of a 35mm film sized digital doo dad that could be used in a conventional 35mm camera. I don't think that has ever come to pass, but deep inside, I know I'd love to be able to use these old cameras with a digital insert. I see they have digital backs for some cameras. I can always hope. Otherwise these have sentimental value. The F2S was the first camera that I know of that used electronic (diode lights) in the meter. I was amazed at this. And then I bought the attachment that turned the len's aperture ring to center the diode lights with a small electric motor.It seemed marvelous then, but crude now.

Steve