Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:24 AM   #11

Hello everyone... I've been reading this Forum since I bought my 8800 so this is my first post.

Hi skes

My 8800 makes this strange whirring noise as well.

I also contacted Nikon Support UK about ten days ago and they suggested I switch the camera to Single Autofocus and the noise will stop. I emailed back that it was already in this mode and the noise persisted even with VR switched off.

Nikon Support then advised me to return the camera to their Service Department to locate a possible fault.

Slightly different to the response you received.

The 8800 works perfectly apart from that... so now what?

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 2:31 PM   #12

Hi Bruce,

Maybe they've had second thoughts since they spoke to you, more like they havn't got a clue,did you or are you sending yours in? maybe i'll just see how it goes it seems to work ok, but i'll maybe ring the dealer up on monday see what they have to say anyway.

skes
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 2:47 PM   #13

I would imagine that the various Nikon repair depots around the world are just learning about this new camera, as we are. The introduction of a new car involves training the people who will service it. There has to be some time that repair depots are exploring a new product and their inconclusiveness may be just a lack of familiarity. I would hope that Nikon in Japan knows the real truth ? If you look at the internal diagrams of the vibration control that are on some sites, it sure looks to me like there is something there that may spin. The camera also makes some odd noises when you shoot close ups..no doubt the lens moving to focus.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It's funny how your personal perception flavours things. I heard these faint noises right from the beginning and just assumed they were part of the operating gizmos. The camera works brilliantly and so I am completely unconcerned. Just watch some people's faces when the the landing gear on an aircraft drops into place...a perfectly normal noise...but one that may cause concern. I hope this camera doesn't develop a bad reputation. My brother in law solves noises in his car by turning the radio up ! Mind you, he also drove under the back of a transport truck and was towed several miles before being spotted !

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 2:54 PM   #14

LOL, i once turned my radio up and the front wheel fell off (true) :lol:
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:07 PM   #15

Under the circumstances I don't think sending my 8800 in for 'repair' would be the wisest move.

If Nikon Technical Support haven't a clue God knows what will happen once they get the bonnet up.

I might add that this noise continues even with VR switched off so presumably it has nothing to do with gyroscopes or movement compensation devices etc.

I bought mine from Grays of Westminster so I'll call them on Monday and report back.

Bruce
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:19 PM   #16

Hi All,

I phoned Nikon Service people today (Mon) and the person i spoke to assured me the noises i was hearing were normal, he said it was something to with a lot of processing going on, hmmm, so it might be a static kinda noise and not a motor.

skes
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:31 PM   #17

Hi skes

Not exactly a precise diagnosis... sounds as though Nikon Support are as baffled as we are... very reassuring.

Emailed Grays of Westminster this morning re The Noise... awaiting reply.

Possible solution: How many 8800 users out there hear this noise... and how many don't?

Let's get this sorted...

Bruce
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:51 PM   #18

I have my 8800 for three weeks, and it makes the same soft interior noise, type "fan" or "motor". It always makes it in taking position, even with the VR switched off, and the AF in Manual.

I began to listen several 8800 in a commercial local, and all made the same noise. It seemed a lunatic using the 8800 as a cellular telephone on my ear. The official representative Nikon didn't know how to respond my question, in fact it seems that he never listened, before my comment, the mysterious noise. My previous one 8700 didn't make it.

But I have not any difficulty with the pictures that taken, I imagine that it is a normal characteristic.

Greetings, Ronorro.
ronorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:56 PM   #19

My friend who has one says he just takes one of the pills they included with the camera, for this condition, and the noise goes away... LOL (a little humor for you while you wait for an answer) Best regards...I truly hope its nothing to worry about, am really looking at buying one.

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:26 AM   #20

Well from what i've read and heard so far i'm tending to believe them (it's normal), so i'm no longer worried and i'm starting to enjoy my camera more, and besides it makes far less noise than my wife does :lol: