Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 25, 2004, 3:16 PM   #1

Hi There All,

A Question for all you Coolpix 8800 owners out there, does your camera make a noise as though it has a little fan inside it?.

I received mine today (Thurs) i straight away i noticed that if i gently tilted it from side to side i can hear/feel a little clunking sound, the clunk goes when the camera is switched on (maybe taking up the slack) i never noticed anything else till i got my new Flash card (1gb 80x :G) and started to play then i noticed it has a noise that sounds like a fan :sad:coming from inside, when the dial is turnedon toISO, WB, Quality, Setup and play modes it stops (with a click)

Any ideas, is this normal?

Thanks skes
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2004, 3:36 PM   #2

I haven't noticed a noise with mine.

Perhaps it's the VR working. Try turning that off and see if the noise disappears.
Allan Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 3:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply,

I havn't really had the VR on much yet, but anyway it does it with it on or off, i also made sure it was on single focus, i noticed it whensurroundings really quite otherwise you have to put your ear close to it, it sounds as if there might be a little motor running.

Oh well looks like it's going back
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:05 PM   #4

Oh boy.... we usually talk about noise but, this kinda noise is definately not fixable through software or iso asjustment. Good luck and let us all know how you make out. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:26 PM   #5

Hi. I have an 8800 and think I hear what you do ! With the camera off, I can, at times, hear and feel a very remote clunk, as though something is loose. But it is very, very faint and I would assume there is perhaps some tolerance in the zoom, focusing or vibration reduction gear. I'm not at all concerned. I also can faintly hear what either sounds like a fan, or feedback from the microphone (?). Again.....very remote and not affected by the VR on or off. I wouldn't worry about it if the camera works. It's under warranty, is a complex machine and I have absolutely no idea what goes on inside to judge what should, or should not be heard. You can contact Nikon for an answer, but unless what you hear is much louder than mine, I wouldn't worry. I wonder if there is some kind of tiny gyroscope in there, as Vibration Control talks about working on planes (horiz/vertical) and if so, would have to spin. It also says to give it a chance to get going on startup. I may be off by a mile (quite typical), but would advise you to not worry about things if the camera works.

Hope this may make you feel a tiny bit better !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:42 PM   #6

It Does make me feel a tiny bit better Thanks, the camera seems to work perfect besides, and like you say the faint clunking does go once it's switched on and taken up any slack that might be there.

I'd already decided to see if i can contact Nikon UK to ask there opinion before i ring the supplier.

Maybe i have a thing about noises lol, i kept moaning about a noise on my Motorbike but that same noise has been there for the last 6 or so years :-)

Thanks again
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:52 PM   #7
Administrator

It's probably just Continuous Focus (often a little noisy on Nikons), where it's changing focus constantly, versus only when you press the shutter button (either half or full press).

If you go to Page 2 of the shooting menu, you should see Focus Options. Look under AF mode, and see if it's set to Single or Continuous. If the sound stops when you set it to Single versus Continuous, you'll know that's what it is.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:57 PM   #8

Yeah already tried that Thanks, the only time the noise goes off is if i turn the mode wheel toISO, WB, Quality, Setupor play mode it stops (with a click)

Thanks skes
Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:59 PM   #9

I get the "clunk" when it's off...but when on with the lens extended to its default position, the clunk disappears. Maybe some play with the lens when it's stowed when the camera is off?

Also hear the "fan" noise. If you hold the camera up to your ear it sound more like a static like crackle.

Camera works fine so this must be normal "stuff"

Jason
JayEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:19 AM   #10

Thanks for all your responses, here's the message i got back from Nikon this morning.

Hello Mr Smith,

I have checked our bench model of the camera here and the noises you are experiencing with the camera are normal. With VR and Continuous focus off you can still here a noise from the camera.

Regards

Emma Irwin
Nikon UK Customer Support.

Thanks skes