Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 23, 2002, 2:32 PM   #1
CB

Default Image files suddenly in ascii

My last 2 disc full of images can be viewed in my Nikon 990. When I tried to transfer them to my PC via a card reader the files are labelled in ASCII characters and cannot be accessed. Any ideas what is going on and what I can do? :? :? :?:
CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:51 PM   #2

What editor are you using to open the images. My CP990 can only save files in JPG or TIF. If your downloads are not properly named, ie: DSCNxxxx (where x = a numerical character) follwed by the appropriate extension, your photo editor will not know how to open it.
jimka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 2:07 PM   #3
CB

The problem is not the photo editor. I have since recovered the images on one disc, but not the other. When I try to look at the disc under my computer (G: is the drive) the folders are in ascii characters. The first disc could still be viewed in the camera, until I disc checked and changed all the labels and had to rename over a hundered images. The second disc won't display in the camera either. It said no images. I tried to take a pix and got an err message. I am just a little gunshy of taking more pix without knowing how to avoid this. Should I reboot my camera? If so, how do I do that. I don't think the media is bad.....

Does anyone have any thought?
Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:07 AM   #4

Default ascii is a code for text !

what does the ascii say.....have you picked up the file with notepad or MS word. You may have the wrong files.
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 9:54 AM   #5

General thoughts from a non-Nikon owner. If the media is named correctly in the cam and can be read with the correct name in the cam - sounds OK for starters.

If the cam files can be transferred from the cam to hard drive by wire(USB/RS232) with the correct names and can be read (remember I don't know this cam). Then that sounds O.K.

Now if the Media itself cannot be read in a 'something else device' attached to the pc, that suggests the pc software does not properly recognise the media format. Cam formats generally use simple FAT 16, and only allow 8 characters in filenames.

So if the cam files were readable and names were OK in the cam, I certainly wouldn't make more probs renaming to what I saw via a pc reader, until I'd got to the bottom of it!. I'd start with a blank reformat in the cam, not a pc. If the cam media has ever been formatted in a pc or music player, it may not work properly in the cam without fixing. Can you try new virgin cam media, formatted only in the cam? Be warned that PC disc utilites, writing anything back may not be fully compatible with the cam's media format.

Cams usually need to keep exactly the right directory names. If you're changing these in the pc what you're seeing on your pc might not be the data written back as a name if the pc misunderstands the cams media format. Any help?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:39 PM   #6
CB

Well, the images from the second disc are lost, only a handful, though. I have since reformatted the discs and pictures are readable again.

When the images were viewable by the camera, I was unable to copy them on my PC because of a "syntax error". Windows suggested running dskchk, which I did and it "found" file fragments for me and renamed them all "*.chk". I was able to view these using Quick View Plus, but could not save from there. Since the info was obviously there, I renamed the images "*.jpg" and viola! the pc will show me the images again. Of course, the camera can't read these since they are not named correctly.

The smaller CF card had crazy info on it with files and folders in weird characters with last updated dates ranging from 1998 through 2058! Nothing could access any of these folders so I just reformatted.

I don't know what did it, but I'll be downloading at more frequent intervals form now on............

Thanks for all the thoughts on this odd problem. :?
Old Nov 1, 2002, 1:44 PM   #7

I've had the same problem and discovered why:

When I took CF card no.1 out of the card reader and directly placed CF no.2 in it....the problem came. I recovered most photos with a recoveryprogram from the net. Lot of them btw.

This happened to me because, I forgot to close up the Nikonfolders AND then mark another folder i.e the documentfolder. Then rightclick on the CF drive and stop the card. When the marked folder change to another - you will be able to place the CF no. 2 in the cardreader without getting problem.

You could try this with some samples.

Works for me (Win2000SP3)
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote