Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:37 PM   #11

My birthday is coming up, KennethD...would be happy to test drive some Extreme III CF!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:23 PM   #12

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
My birthday is coming up, KennethD...would be happy to test drive some Extreme III CF!

One really neat thing about being a member of this site is that you can overcome the horrific task of staying current, and up to date...by virtue of the large numbers of members willing to contribute their knowledge and help. I find all I need to do is ask. With so many new cameras and accessories coming out all the time, it is not likely any of us would be able to keep accurately informed, unless this help were available. Staying in touch and actively contributing is a virtual guarantee you will be among the first to know everything about the latest and greatest that comes down the pike. So...if you get the chance to test drive that baby (extreme III) I will be watching for your assessment, 'cause if it's a keeper, I am gonna want one. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:00 AM   #13

Hieveryone,

My partner has the D70 and was comtemplating buying a Microdrive card before he went to Chile in October. He didn't buy one in the end as he found out in cold situations it would stop working,they were going into the Andes as well, where it is rather cold.

In the end he bought a lot of 256mb cards rather than bigger ones (they are very cheap over in the UK now) instead of any higher ones. His reason was that a card could break and he wouldn't loose as many pics that way (photographing cacti is mainly in rough country).

We haven't heard anything that normal CF cards have any problems with cold. Ihave taken lovely pics with my CP4500 last winter and as I love snow, I was out there for quite a while, until my fingers were too cold to move:-)

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:17 PM   #14

I'd love to hear a comparison of flashcards with a coolpix 8800. Many times a camera can't take advantage of the faster write times. Before shelling out a premium for the faster cards I'd like to know if I would benefit from the expense. Anyone? KennethD what camera did you use in your tests?
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:31 PM   #15

I finally got my 2GB San Disk Ultra II card and it's fatsre than the fuji 512mb card I was using and of course has enough space without having to change cards...more than happy with it mind you the UK price wasn't exactly cheap at around 170...
Nadeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:02 PM   #16

Nadeem: I was shooting with a 2 year old sandisk card today (jpg highest quality)and it was very slow. Maybe 8-12 seconds for many of the pics I took. I'm still not sure why some pics took longer to write then others. Maybe the camera was clearing its buffer. I have a 1gig Ultra lll card coming so I will be able to do a side by side comparison. I've heard that the camera can't take advantage of the ultra fast cards but I like to use a card reader and USB 2 so I'll at least get the benefit of transferring the files to my PC. Did you see a huge difference in your write times with the new card?
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:17 AM   #17

I read another review on the 8800 where various CF cards were tested. The reviewer stated that faster cards showed faster write times and that older cards were very slow. This is great news since I was using a two year old CF card today and not getting the best write times.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:00 AM   #18

traderfjp

Where was this review you read?, i use a Lexar 80x 1GB but it doesn't seem particularly fast so i'd hate to see what a slower ones like.
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:03 AM   #19

While i'm on the subject:-)if i take my card out and put it in my card reader it wont read it, anyone else had this problem? do you reckon it might be because my reader is only USB 1? and maybe 80x is to fast for it :-)
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:42 AM   #20

Hi skes

USB 1 and USB 2 are interchangeable but transfer speed is increased considerably using a USB 2 cable into USB 2 ports. Will your card download while it's still in the camera?

I also use a 2GB SanDisk Ultra II in my 8800 and the write time on Extra Fine is about 2 seconds... less on Fine.

Most people use a 512 meg CF card because a full card will fit onto one CD. Also if the card develops a fault they lose rather less shots than a full 2GB card... so we're taking a chance there.

The only difference between the SanDisk Ultra II and the Extreme III is the latter is more rugged.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote