Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:12 PM   #1

Hi all, new on the board, from Kent, England. I've just ordered a Nikon Coolpix 8800 along with a 2GB Ultra San Disk CF card. Now wondering whether I should have gone for a D70...pic qualiy is important as I work in publishing as a journalist and frequently have to take shots to back up an article. Saying that, I have managed with a 5MP Sony Cybershot for the last year.

The reason for upgrading was to get better quality and be able to do take more than one pic every 3-5 seconds like the cybershot. I am still confused about the references to the new extra quality jpeg mode in the 8800 - can anyone tell me if it makes much difference.

Also the built-in flash...iis it good enough or should I be looking to get an external Nikon one?

Nadeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:53 PM   #2

Hi. I've had the camera for 2 weeks or so now. I'm shooting on the Extra Fine setting, but don't see a big difference over the regular 8MP setting. Of course, it may be of more value to you if work requires big blow ups. There is certainly a BIG difference over my 3MP Kodak.

I don't know if you'll be snapping pictures much faster. I have a 1GB card, but write times seem slower outdoors the last few days (about 5C. today). Kenneth has written a really good note about card speed...it mystifies me !

I would have to say you will appreciate the 10X zoom in such a small camera, which makes it better than a more expensive SLR and lenses. I'm very pleased with mine and can't find much fault with the exception of the special filter size needed.

I have a friend with a 5MP Cybershot and I think the Nikon's quality is noticibly FAR superior.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:56 PM   #3

Thanks Scubbler, good to know I'll get better pics than from my cybershot...
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:59 PM   #4

Hmmm...the picture of your bike puts my KLR 650 to shame ! It's the Poor Man's BMW !

Steve

More poor after paying for the Coolpix !
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:08 AM   #5

I had the F650 before - just had the 1200 for about six weeks...

here's a bigger pic...

http://www.midnightphotos.co.uk/user...full/11/63.jpg

Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:56 PM   #6

Hmmm...beautiful bike ! A lot of the KLR guys on the web keep on making nasty comments about BMW riders, but I'm sure it's jealousy ! That's just the bike I'd buy if I could justify spending so much. But I'm not really happy on the KLR and sometimes it's best to buy what you want. Maybe the lottery will pay off !

I was thinking about your post this morning. I switched from "Extra Fine" back to normal 8MP and the recycle time is much faster. I doubt there is a second before it's ready to shoot again. I don't think I need any more pixels or whatever beyond the normal setting. I would imagine that with these new fangled super memory cards, the camera will be always ready. There is a fast reshoot setting on the camera that I have yet to remember to play with. I read the manual each night and there sure is a lot to remember. I see someone on E Bay is selling a small card that has all the control settings on it. Not such a bad idea.

Thanks for the bike picture. I even like the colour !

Steve
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:54 AM   #7

Thanks for the help Steve,

I'll get the camera tomorrow and I'll mess around with it and see ....
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:15 AM   #8

Hi, having started out with two digicams before switching to a dSLR, I can say that if Iwere doing news or publishing, I'd probably have gone with a top of the line digicam for work related use. The small size and convenience of having a 10x zoom would have offset the image quality and increased flexibilityof using a SLR. Use the normal jpeg highest resolution setting to speed things up. The down side is that if you are shooting in low light, the EVF and increased noise in the long range digicams are a big negativie when compared to most dSLRs.

I'm a freelance / advanced amatuer / eventphotographer so I need the higher image quality and capture speedthat a dSLR provides. Otherwise, I could get by with a high-end digicam and would have saved al thousand bucks. You'll spend that much more to get the equivalent functionality using a D70 with the lenses to match the zoom/macro range of the CP 8800. IMHO

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:06 PM   #9

I would have to nod my head in agreement. That extra thousand is indeed something to ponder. I have been unable to make up my mind whether to buy a Nikon CP8800, or bite the bullet, and go for DSLR.The 10X zoom, and VR are very appealing. But, I do envy the speed, and optical view, and manual aspects of the Dslr. Ido enjoy all the insight on this topic from members posts.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:10 PM   #10

Thanks Bill,

I managed with a 5mp cybershot for over a year for newspaper work and it was fine for most things - have now got the 8800 and I'm pretty impressed with it. We have a D70 available at work but as I scoot about on the bike through London's congested streets, it's not practical - it's fairly bulky to keep with me at all times...that's where a compact is much handier. I've managed to get some great shots just because I had the cybershot with me ...

The 8800 is saving tiffs at 23mb which is giving enough resolution for my production department to play around with so they're happy with it too...