Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:47 PM   #1

Has anyone tried this out yet on the 8800? Suppposedly you can 'stitch' together images to create this effect...
Nadeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:43 PM   #2

Yes, I've tried it and it works ! You don't have to really stitch the pictures together. When you snap the first shot, an arrow indicates the direction to pan (changeable) and you just rotate the camera until the 1/3 frame image in the viewfinder overlaps what you now look at . It is fairly simple, but can be difficult if there aren't defined objects to match up. Much the same as focusing an old rangefinder camera. After completing the full circle, you have to use the Panorama program included with the camera to view your work. But it works as promised. It will be interesting to try it outside in the mountains. My first attempts were indoors.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:50 AM   #3

Does it do the same on that model as it does on my 2200? In that the "pan" pix are stored in different folder so the "last" pic shown when review button is used, itis always the "pan" pix? That is why on my 2200, i have to use the internal memory for any pan mode pix...
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:21 AM   #4

I've used panorama mode on the Nikon 8700 which is basically the same but most of my panoramas are done on a Fuji S602 using exposure lock for the first shot and manually panning ensuring a generous overlap. It's better to use a longer focal length with the camera as close to horizontal/vertical as possible; I find vertical panned shots create a clearer image.

For stitching, I use Panorama Factorywhich is about the best that I've found; you'll find lots of examples at IWCAM& Lakeland Walks.

Getting back to the Nikon 8700, it was relatively straight forward overlapping the second (and subsequent) image over the first albeit a tad fiddly at times.

Each panoramic sequence was saved into a separate folder which made identifying the images to be stitched together easier.

On the down side the 'last image' preview always seemed to default to that folder and not the last shot taken.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:18 PM   #5

One thing to beaware of with the 8800 in Panorama is that the lens must be over the pivot point of your tripod. If you mount the camera any other way, the offset of the camera body with the lens on the left extremity will create aparallax effect and you won't get the last shot. This cancels using any tripod that doesn't have room to move the camera on the head. I found this out the hard way and then read it in the report Digcamfan provided .

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:16 AM   #6

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Each panoramic sequence was saved into a separate folder which made identifying the images to be stitched together easier.

On the down side the 'last image' preview always seemed to default to that folder and not the last shot taken.
The preview issueseems to be due to folder naming scheme..."normal" folders on my 2200 are 100Nikon or 101Nikon or similar...the Pan folders are 106Nikon and higher as I recall...

Thus, they are always at the "end" instead of the last TRUE pix taken in the "normal" folders...

Found the way to overcome that was to shoot pan mode shots using internal memory...so when SD card is put in, those folders will still be the "end" instead...

Camera SHOULD keep track of exactly WHICH folder contains the true last pix taken! But it doesn't.
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote