Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 24, 2002, 6:23 AM   #1

Default Using a laser pointer for Focus assist on 5700

Tried one witn my 5700. It works perfect! Can focus in total darkness. Picked up pointer at a local convenience store for
5 bucks. It has multiple tips, I used the star pattern to give both vertical and horizontal lines. Very easy to clip to camera bag when not in use.

Jerry
Jerchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 7:03 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip. I've tried it myself som time ago, and I agree it works fine.

I wish Nikon would change strategy and put on a small lamp next time they release.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 8:40 AM   #3

An Excellent tip for the users having a Digicam that doesn't have a built-in focus assist beam.
It seems the tip would work equally good for the film cameras as well.
i will give it a try with my Nikon F90X
Good Work Jerchrist,

ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 2:08 AM   #4

Okay, please explain how this works. HOw do you use the laser pointer to assist in focusing in the dark.
dgreenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 2:23 AM   #5

Some manufacturers fit their cameras with a lamp (normally located beside the lens barrel) which is used to illuminate the focus subject in low light. This lamp assists the camera's focusing system where other cameras autofocus will likely have failed. These lamps usually only work over a relatively short range, up to about 4 meters.

Some lamps use Infrared light instead of visible light which is better for "candid" shots.

and as explained by Jerchrist, the laser poiner is clipped to the camera and the laser light is focused on the subject, from which (subject) the camera's autofocusing system finds the contrast and moves the foucsing system to lock on focus.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:04 AM   #6

Great idea, I have one I got from the dollar store and will use it on the coolpix 2500 as that too does not have the focus lamp built in.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 6:17 AM   #7

Great idea......just be careful if you want to take the candid, people may think it's a sniper laser pointer, i'm very serious......thanx
inoino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 6:56 AM   #8

You right inoino,
the pointer should not be used for candid or portrait photography,
and i've heard that the laser light may damage the delicate eye tissues if it enters directly in the subject's eyes. It looks impolite as well.
This kind of contraption is only useful when you are photographing a non living objects.

ajeet
Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:41 PM   #9

There is on question I have on this, using the laser pointer as a focus aid sounded real good except one thing.
The laser spot will show up like a sore thumb in the photo, being so bright all you may see is a very bright red spot.
Or maybe I am missing something here, do you leave the light on while taking the picture so the focus will stay put? or do you shut it off just before you trip the shutter.
Dumb question?---- ops:
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 9:59 PM   #10

you would have to do just what the focus assist does on a reagular strobe.
hit the button on the laser to on.
hit the release button on the camera to focus and continue holding thus locking the focus in.
release the laser button to off
press the shutter release the rest of the way and capture the image with the flash.
actually some of these lasers are capable of creating an image with multi shapes making focus even easier with both horizontal/vertical lines in it.

http://www.discountlasers.com/laser_...er_300_5-1.php

this might be more helpful
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote