Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:09 AM   #1

I'm curious why no in depth reviews of a production version of the 8800. I would have thought this would be a heavily reviewed camera. It seems to be available now. Being the trusting individual I am toward corporations - it makes me wonder if there's something Nikon doesn't want the reviewers to find before theChristmas season is over so they aren't supplying production cameras for review. Seems kind of strange to me there's a lack of independent information to be found. Should have added before - I'm not trying to start any kind of war or anything - just keep drooling over the specs of the 8800 but don't want to pry the hard earned money out of my hands for it until I see an independent review.
l_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:54 PM   #2

You are not alone Kemo Sabbe...for all you Lone Ranger fans...lots of us want to know. We do have a good info flow coming in from owners of the 8800, on this site. We aren't totally muted. One thing I'm really curious about is what will the review say about this odd noise everyone's hearing when operating the camera. Steve (THE Steve) says he has one now and is working with it so we ought to be able to get the review any day now ....I hope. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:50 PM   #3

Go here for a great review.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=21
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip ! I hit "print", as I hate reading long articles on the computer. 53 pages later, the printer stopped ! I'll have reading material for many days in myone man "reading room"...you know !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:06 AM   #5

here are some useful links:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ew/index.shtml

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikoncp8800/

http://www.axelwolf.org/reviews/Nikon8800/index.html

and other way to find the drawbacks of the product, read owners opinions. for example go to this liknk:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...y=nikon_cp8800

i hope that will help you.
a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:47 PM   #6

Thanks again, Digcamfam, for the links to those reviews. I read the entire 53 page report and it is VERY well done ! He mentions every knob and every function and explains them in detail. I actually find that format easier to understand than the Nikon booklet. I also found out I was lucky with my first attempt with Panorama as the camera lens is offset from the body and so not necessarily over the axis of rotation..and thus prone to parallax if not on a "special" tripod. I had it on a tripod with the mounting screw in a "T" shaped cutout. I guess I had it mounted off center enough that it worked.

There is always more to learn about this camera. I'm pleased to note the review is generally favourable to what I think is a brilliant camera.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:26 PM   #7

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the links. They have been interesting reading. As usual I'm trying to make up my mind between the D70 with 'better' pictures and having to go back to hauling around all the glass (been there/done that in the film days) or putting up with the noise issues of the 8mp small sensor line. I mostly shoot wildlife so the long zoom is almost a necessity. I'll probably be frozen by indecision for another 6 months and there'll be a newer/greater camera on the market by then with a big zoom to confuse me even more :?:G.

Thanks again everyone for the help,

Bob

l_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:03 PM   #8

Megapixel have posted a full review here: http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

Here's their conclusions:

[align=left]
  • Very good image quality. [/*]
  • Stabilized lens. [/*]
  • 10X optical zoom. [/*]
  • Very sharp EVF. [/*]
  • Excellent colour. [/*]
  • Long exposure capability. [/*]
  • Remote control. [/*]
  • Good ergonomic design.
[/align]

[/*]
  • Tendency to overexpose highlights. [/*]
  • Comparatively slow camera. [/*]
  • Barrel distortion at wide angle end. [/*]
  • Noisy zoom motor. [/*]
Personally, I found their reviews a tad inconsistent having used both the Nikon 8700 & Nikon 8800 which scored8.8/9.4 & 8.4/8.4 respectively. Even the Nikon 5700 scored better at 8.4/9.

I recently tried out a Nikon 8800 at my local store and was impressed at how quiet & smooththe zoom motorwas compared tomy Fuji FinePix S602 which by comparisonsounds positively noisy - I guess it's what you're used to.

I can't wait to see what Steve's DigiCam has to say.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:45 PM   #9
Administrator

We only just got the Nikon 8400 and 8800 production cameras about a week ago and hence the delay in finishing our reviews. Look for them both to be completed with sample pics in the next week.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:54 PM   #10

Thanks Steve.

The wait will have been worthwhile.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote