Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 24, 2002, 7:56 PM   #1

Default ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY with the 5700

I have been an amatuer astronomer for many years and now would like to try some astrophotography via attachment of my 5700 to my telescope. Scopetronix had the digi-t adaptors for this camera. However thee are some issues:

I worry about inducing moisture in the camera when I bring it back into a warm room from the cold of the night sky.

I am hoping to achieve less noise in the colder settings and thus use of the ASA 800 or bulb settings

Thinking that photo software will assist in reducing the noise, possibly removing the blue channel.

I am hoping some of you people have some real life experiances in this matter. If anyone else in interested in this subject please let me know as well as we must pool or experiances.
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:31 PM   #2

I'm not sure there is too much to worry about as far as condensation inside the camera..... I've had my cp990 out in -10 and never had a problem, though I usually give the camera time to recover from the temp change.
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 7:14 PM   #3

Default thanks

I appreciate that....you say you give your camera time to recover (dry out). How much time and do you do anything special in this process?

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:09 AM   #4

I must admit that when I come in from a very cold outside more photography isn't the first thing on my mind (though if you haven't got an external card reader you may need the camera on). It's just a case letting the camera warm up at room temp for ten minutes or so (while you get a coffee or something), suppose it varies on the temp difference.
As for chroma noise with your asa800 shots..... try the Imaging Factory Pro noise reduction or Quantum Mechanic Pro plug-in filters. I find both are excellent at chroma and luma reduction.
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote