Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:42 AM   #1

Default 5700 clipping highlights

Has anyone else noticed that this camera clips very bright reflections. I was taking a picture of the fall folage abd the sun was
reflecting off the foliage at the top of the tree. When I uploaded to my pc I found that the reflections were empty pieces of the tree with no data in these areas.

Any solutions?
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:28 PM   #2

It's a common known problem that most of the CP camera. If you use the histogramfunction you will be able to prevent most of it, by change i.e lightbalance. Works for me.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:45 PM   #3

Default Agreed - Histogram PLUS Bracketing

Agreed - use the histogram function - almost makes me wish that it could be integrated into the live viewfinder in RECORD mode - ALMOST - it's really crowded in there now. Plus it's digital - so storage is cheap - BRACKET, BRACKET, BRACKET! :lol:
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 1:41 AM   #4

Default Histograms

Thanks for your responses, but the only place I could find in the manual for histograms was under reviewing your pictures and this is something I would prefer to do in Pshop. Unfortunately the picture
has no information in the burned out (clipped) areas and no adjustment of a histogram will bring it back.

Is their some other way we can use the histogram to adjust the camera sensitivity prior to the picture being taken. Otherwise I will have to put a polerizing filter on it.

PLease explain how you use this function.

thank You,

Jim
Old Oct 27, 2002, 2:08 AM   #5

When I've taken the photo I go back to play to watch it. Turn the wheel and you will see the burned out areas flashing. If you have some of these areas you should adjust the light .. ex. -1. With this method you have to use the button behing the trikker.

Or you could use AUTOBRACKETING from the menu!

Good luck.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 6:27 AM   #6

Default I appreciate your response

I appreciate your comments and will try them. Sounds like you have gone though this. Your pics were great!
Old Oct 27, 2002, 7:27 AM   #7

Thanks Jim!

Using this method will darken your pics a little, but don't worry it's very easy to correct in an editor. The burnout highlights can never be restored.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:19 AM   #8

I find histograms really useful, unfortunately my cam only offers it in review mode after shooting. However, a significant number of pixels in the 255 bin is suspicious. Prof. TV cams have a peak white overload indicator. On digicams something like a X% white level indicator could be useful.

Often, what your seeing is the best efforts of the auto exposure system to cope with average brightness over a wide range, not peaks.

But, as has been said, under expose a bit, and bring the highlights up in post if needed - you can't put detail back after its been crushed to white!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote