Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 25, 2002, 6:21 AM   #1

Default CP 5700 & SB 80DX

i would like to buy an SB 80DX...is anyone know what is the feature that won't work with the CP 5700?, or may be you could share some experience...thanx!
inoino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:29 AM   #2

SB-80DX is designed to use with Nikon digital SLR for the D-TTL flash feature. This option will not work on the coolpix 5700, it will only work with the atomatic flash on manual flash operation, but it will give you a very powerful flash range on both of these modes...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:30 AM   #3

SB-80DX is designed to use with Nikon digital SLR for the D-TTL flash feature. This option will not work on the coolpix 5700, it will only work with the automatic flash or manual flash operation, but it will give you a very powerful flash range on both of these modes...
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:31 PM   #4

thanx....how bout the AF Assist?, since we all know the issue bout the poor CP5700 AF in low light, i think it's one of the feature brought by the 80DX that should works with CP5700! -regards-
inoino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:39 PM   #5

Default Nope, Sorry - Try Again

Unfortunately, Nikon has chosen to cripple the feature set of these very useful flashes when used with the Coolpix camera series. Basically, any of the Nikon flashes listed as "compatible" with Coolpixes can only do TTL - no 3DMBFF, no MBFF, no AF-assist. You might be better off getting a third-party flash like a Metz or Sunpak that has similar guide numbers and features like tilt-swivel and save yourself some money. Lots of folks have said praises about using the Sunpak PZ4000AF and the PZ5000AF. I bought an SB-50 because I eventually see myself getting a Nikon DSLR, so I'm investing in the future. But if you're looking for bang for the buck, third-party flashes are still the way to go...
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:42 PM   #6

Default One last comment on AF-Assist

Think about picking up one of those laser-pointer pens with a hologram tip (one that says Happy Birthday or makes some sort of fun shape when projected) - folks have sworn up and down this works great, even in total darkeness...
Old Oct 27, 2002, 12:01 AM   #7

Default been using the sb-80dx for about 3 weeks

It works great in ttl mode and manual mode. Unfortunately the auto zoom head, red eye reduction, and AF assist does not work. I choose this flash for two reasons. First I am hopeful that my next camera will support most of these and I will not have to buy another flash. Second, the quality of pictures using the 80 and 50 that I have seen ... seem to be a little better in ttl mode than the sunpack, vivtar, or others. It could be my imagination but they seem to be better exposed and not as washed out looking.
pbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 5:20 PM   #8

Default Re: been using the sb-80dx for about 3 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbs12345
It works great in ttl mode .... seem to be a little better in ttl mode than the sunpack, vivtar, or others.
Unless you use this flash with a Nikon SLR digicam such as the D100...etc...you will not get the TTL mode on your coolpix cameras...
Old Nov 2, 2002, 9:01 PM   #9

Default Absolutely Incorrect!

Sorry - but it's true - for Coolpixes, the SB50/80 and others listed as "compatible" by Nikon all shoot TTL only. It's in the camera manuals and confirmed by Nikon USA (I made a particular inquiry when I was thinking of buying the SB50.) I think you're thinking of D-TTL - which is only possible when shooting with D100/D1/D1H/D1X.
Old Nov 4, 2002, 9:51 AM   #10

Default Re: One last comment on AF-Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covey22
Think about picking up one of those laser-pointer pens with a hologram tip (one that says Happy Birthday or makes some sort of fun shape when projected) - folks have sworn up and down this works great, even in total darkeness...
Yes the SB-50DX doesnt help Autofocus with the 4500 nor the 5700 while it does with a D1. The SB-80DX is just the same than the SB-50 but it is more powerfull (and cost twice as much). Do you really need that amount of guide number ?

TTL mode is working perfectly. It gives the good amount of light. I wish i could put in Manual mode and then decrease power manually on the flash, but you have to use the speedlight menu in the Nikon's settings menu. Which is longer than the (+) or (-) located on the speedlight. My SB-50 DX is really too powerfull in manual mode. TTL mode is really perfect.
ImageVince is offline   Reply With Quote